Show Report - Yianni in "Things that make you go "Ooooh!"

Show Report - Yianni in "Things that make you go "Ooooh!"

Postby Yianni Agisilaou » 03 Nov 2011, 17:12

Thanks to everyone involved at Sin and in the Free Fringe in general. It was a fantastic experience for us this year.

The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
Sin is a nightclub usually and quite a dingy, gothic one (I use both of those terms as compliments) Clientele is normally quite young and also only at night

The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
The front room was quite a capacious space with a small stage at the front of the room just in front of a 3 foot tall ledge which we used to put the projector screen on. The back room was located up a flight of stairs and delightfully given my past experiences there was no sound leakage between the two rooms.

The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
I could not speak more highly of the staff at Sin. They were supportive, helpful and positive which made such a difference. We always looked forward to coming in. Whenever we had a little emergency (which wasn't often but DID occur) they always helped us solve it with a sense of urgency. I don't think the shows got in the way of normal business as the club was normally closed during the days.

How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
We advertised our show primarily through flyering however we also had a poster campaign going on. I think we had good word of mouth, I tried to do a lot of outside spots to plug the show plus I've been up to Edinburgh a few times now so there was a lot of repeat business. Persistence pays off kids!

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
We had great numbers all the way through. Averaged probably about 80 or so, highest of about 180 and lowest of about 40. It varied by day, Saturdays and Sundays were best, Tuesdays we labelled "Black Tuesdays" as not only were numbers low, people seemed depressed! Of course that is a generalisation. And weather did affect numbers. When it was raining, it was very easy to drag people in by the tens with the promise of cheap drinks, show and shelter.

Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
We were very happy with the show. There was some tweaking in the first week, but once we got it right it was hitting fairly solidly all run. There was potentially a lot of riffing and banter in the show and - on days when the audience proved voluble - we tended to overrun, something which I would like to apologise to the 'We Love Comedy' people for.

Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
We had very good buckets all month. The pitch is VERY important. If audience members get the impression that you don't value the show highly then neither will they. Some people simply won't give much or anything at all which is fine, that's the point of the Free Fringe. But most people are happy to give you a good amount for a good show, we had people give £5, £10 and one person even gave us £20 for the show. We also had merch: badges and bubble blowing kits. You could have one of each if you put £5 in the bucket. This definitely helped give people incentive to toss in crinkly (to use a PBHism)

Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
For a free venue that wasn't usually a theatre, we were really happy with the tech setup. We used the venue's projector which worked well. Thanks to Jools for lending the venue his projector screen and PA. Our show had a fair bit of setup which required putting up and taking down, apologies to 'We Love Comedy' if we ran late sometimes.

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Jools was a top notch venue captain. We didn't need to use him for emergencies often, but when we did he was always available and willing.

Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Nothings springs to mind. Sin was a fantastic venue and I would definitely consider performing there again next year if it's not being renovated!
Yianni Agisilaou

Return to Sin Club and Lounge - Front