Sex & Drugs & Rock N Roll 18.30

Sex & Drugs & Rock N Roll 18.30

Postby Matt Panesh » 15 Nov 2011, 11:13

- The venue - Backpacker/sports Pub, clientele are hard drinking locals, of foriegn travellers catching up on sporting events in their home countries.

- The performance area - room curtained off. horrendous during football matches, which given the nature of the bar is pretty frequent, the loudest match was a spanish derby. The best I could do was stick an extra monitor speaker at the back (massive thanks to Ed at the Banshee Labyrinth for providing me with one, and showing how much these bars are willing to help not only us, but each other) and that seemed to help. you could still hear the football punters but, you could also hear the acts.

- The team of staff at the venue - absolutley brilliant. really helpful.

- How you advertised your show - flyers and posters. generally an hours worth of flyering before the show - towards the enda little less.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - reasonably solid numbers. had a few nights with a few people - generally mid week, but ok throughout. one of the thing's i did notice this year was a drop off on the last day. last year all of my shows had people hanging out the doors on the last day, as did everyones i think. this year, that didnt happen and was, i'm thinking a sign of the damned recession.

- Your show itself - the show was fine, it was my relaxing show as i'd already done two others by the time i got o this one, so it was half an hour of me speaking shite. loved it. My mate jackie, whom i shared the spot with did half an hour of stand up which was great.

- Buckets - pretty good, a low of 10, a high of 70, av, 30-40.

- Technical set-up at the venue - needs that monitor speaker at the back, or a 3 speaker set up. I swapped a speaker with the sin club back room PA so i could get the 3rd speaker to work. next year - swap the two PA'a (sin club & globe) over so a 3rd can be added to globe.
The actual stage itself is fine/perfect for stand-up. anything beyond that, not really. even character acts with flamboyant gestures i'd think twice about. Very narrow. Man and guitar with mic - laughing. Riverdance, probably not.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - I was the venue captain, i kept myself informed when appropriate. communication between myself and john (freefringe tech, brilliant, he really helped me out), there could have been better communication between acts and myself - everyone had my number but there were a couple of complaints from the venue when shows didn't turn up, and didn't inform me. there were also a couple of misprints on the posters saying that people were doing full runs, when in fact they weren't - day off here and there. that led to confusion. but on the whole, given the sheer numbers of shows overall, the communication was good. i think it can be improved by the twitter feed, (see my 'things for 2012' post - but that has to be an "emergency" number only.)

Afterword - the venue is in a prime location. it has its faults but programmed with stand-up after stand-up, no stage requirements or tech requirements, and with the extra speaker, it should be easy to fill and keep full, and keep the people happy with good quality stand up.
Matt Panesh

Return to Globe