23:25 (Final Week Only) Anthology

23:25 (Final Week Only) Anthology

Postby andrewjlederer » 11 Sep 2011, 19:46

The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
Cocktail bar. Young crowd.

The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Backroom near the toilets. No stage.

The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
Virtually no interaction with them, aside from a bouncer who tried to keep me from entering one night.

How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Free Fringe brochure. Last minute coverage for final week of a slot vacated by someone else.

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather
Full or close to full houses simply entered, on time, every night. Truth is, sometimes there were too many people for my taste.

Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The "official" show -- Anthology Storytelling -- was only presented on the first night. Audiences had no idea what they were coming to see, they just wanted to see "a show." They liked Anthology fine but they'd like anything fine as long as it was, well ... fine. So, the rest of the run, I did a solo hour of silly stand-up, a nice change from my themed, "serious" comedy shows. They liked it fine.

Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
They were generous. People like silly funny more than serious funny. One night, there were some who weren't on my wavelength and the bucket was low. Aside from that, they were happy nights, money-wise. I'd even stop afterward for an off-licence sandwich. Hell, I could afford it.

Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
I used the mike, which was there and was on. Successful tech!

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
No process. I showed up at the appointed time. People were expecting a show. I did the shows. Afterward, the Dragonfly guy came in to get glasses.

Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Like I said before, sometimes there were too many audience members. What I mean by that is that people were sitting directly to my left or in hidden corners of the room, from the perspective of the performing area. I don't know how that can be fixed.

Truth is, I'd like to do a show in here again.
andrewjlederer

Return to Dragonfly