17:00 - Tarquin Bartleby's Big Society of Funny Chaps

17:00 - Tarquin Bartleby's Big Society of Funny Chaps

Postby Joe Hullait » 11 Oct 2011, 14:35

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
A private members club.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
A separate room, with a small raised stage at one end.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
Very very friendly, exceptionally helpful. The venue manager took me into his office on the first day just to have a chat about comedy. All the other staff were happy to give any assistance asked for. They were more than happy with us adapting the room for our own needs, and encouraged it.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Word of mouth, flyering and posters.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
It varied from 4 people, right up to about 40 on one day. It was busier when it was raining, because it was easy to persuade people to come in out the rain.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
What worked: Audience interaction, guest acts to keep the pace up.
What didn't work: Making everyone get up and swear allegiance to the Queen, a picture of whom hung in the corner.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
Apart from on one day where nobody donated anything, they were very generous. On the day where we had 4 people in, I made a lot of money because those four people had felt very entertained. Generally, it felt like people were willing to pay the equivalent of a cheap paid show if they got a few laughs.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
We had a mic, a couple of speakers, and a spotlight. I was just doing stand up and had my own props, so it worked perfectly.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Got on very well with everyone else involved. Was kindly given stage time by two others in the venue, and hope to keep up communication with everyone in the future.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
I don't think much else needs to change, outside of my own artistic efforts. I was happy with the venue itself, and the only issue I had with it was its location because sometimes there wasn't much pedestrian traffic around to lure inside.
Joe Hullait

Return to Buffs Club (RAOB)