19:30 Otway - He's Really Really Free!

19:30 Otway - He's Really Really Free!

Postby John Otway » 14 Sep 2011, 10:24

- The venue
The venue is a Nightclub, which has been seated to make a cabaret venue in the afternoons and evening.

- The performance area
A slightly raised stage at one end of the venue, surrounded by mirrored tiles.

- The team of staff at the venue
Pretty helpful, had no problems getting our show up and running on time, and the manager was kind enough to say that he hoped he'd see us again next year.

- How you advertised your show
Fringe brochure

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers
I would guess an average of 70. I have traditionally pulled a local Edinburgh audience, which tends to mean that it's quite a lot busier at weekends. So I would say low of 30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and high of 120 on Weekends.

- Your show itself
I have been doing this show for 38 years, approximately 120 times every 12 months - it probably needs to change :)

- Buckets
Don't know how everybody else felt, but thought we were a bit down on last year. Could have been my bucket speech, or the recession.

- Technical set-up at the venue
The only problem I found with this venue was the lighting. I found most of the stage quite dark and if you did not find the 'sweet spot' where the lights were focused (which was about 5 foot from the front of the stage), faces tended to be in shadow. If I do this venue next year, I'm considering taking some lights to supplement those provided by the venue.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)
Having done the Edinburgh Fringe pretty much every year for the last 25, one thing I really enjoy and find inspiring about the Free Fringe is how friendly and helpful all those involved are - all I can say on this subject is that any problems that arose (like how the gear was stored in the storage area) were dealt with without fuss, so all my shows went up on time, the audience came in and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved
There are no mixing desk facilities on the PA, so if it's a musical act or something needing more than just a microphone, you need to bring the necessary equipment with you.
John Otway

Return to Base Nightclub