Twisted Whimsy - White Horse

Performer reviews of their venues/shows/experience in 2008

Twisted Whimsy - White Horse

Postby Owen Niblock » 28 Sep 2008, 13:02

I agree with the need for some way to communicate with other people in your venue. Whilst we managed to keep some sort of dialogue going most of the time, it would have been useful to have some way of asking people questions if you weren't sure you'd get to see them.

Anyway, here's my report.
This year I had a few modest aims, after I had a bad year last year due to some venue problems I wanted to make it clear that it wasn't in any way the FF's fault and to show that I still support the FF 100%. I also wanted to have a more quiet year publicity-wise and just do some fun shows to some nice people.

In this I think I was successful. I think my smallest audience was 7 (on the first day) and I probably averaged about 20 each day overall. The venue was lovely -- they really took me under their wing and made me feel welcome which went a long way to stopping the madness from setting in.

I got one review from 3 weeks, which was written by someone who really got the show. The review itself didn't seem to result in too many more people coming to see the show, but that's not really a problem.

One thing I suffered with was the get-in and get-out. Because I had lots of sound stuff to set up, I couldn't flyer outside up until I went on. Doing this seemed really worthwhile to the other shows I saw in the WH so I might hire someone to flyer for an hour next time I'm doing Edinburgh.

There really seemed to be a buzz about the FF this year. Partly helped by the continuing support of people like Robin, Andrew and Josie (amongst others) and partly due to the hard work and diligence of PBH and Danny (amongst other others). However we still seem to be having trouble shaking off the 'not as good as the paid shows' title. I think we will, but it'll take time for people to realise.

I also echo the thoughts of Jools -- we're proving year after year that we have quality and good ethics -- I think the negativity toward the LH fest needs to end. We are the true Free Fringe and we should work hard to keep the brand consistent (pointing out errors in publications etc) however I'm worried that by bad-mouthing the competition too much we risk looking like politicians whose only defense is attack.

Finally, I think my flyering technique or my flyers were rubbish -- I hope it's not the flyers as I really liked them! I find it difficult to talk to strangers and hard to big myself up so convincing strangers to come to my show was often a challenge for me.

All in all, a good year. Having a year off next year -- but will be back in 2010.
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Alfie Moore - Voodoo Bar

Postby laughingalfie » 28 Sep 2008, 16:32

Hello Again Folks, It's the Copper blerk.
First thing to say is that I absolutely loved my time at the Fringe met some nice folk and had a ball. I even enjoyed playing to my audience of one man with long finger nails who never smiled but the show always went on. My average audience was 14 which I was chuffed with.
I always asked attenders how they heard of us and the majority were because of the The PBH Free Fringe Brochure (An absolute must I would say). Apart from the obvious flyering the guest spots helped enormously ( thank you Sowerby+Luff, Bob and PBH) and also walking around dressed like a twat did me no harm at all in the advertising stakes.
Reviews, had one bad and one very good but neither from reputable sources.
Venue, nice room, very helpful manager in Alex and all good except maybe the confusion caused by the bar choosing to open very late on the last day which I am sure was just a communication issue for which I accept responsibility.
I would have a good think about how I could coordinate things better next time, very difficult finding tackle missing or broken from the night before and no one has any knowledge very difficult to manage and I guess your relying on individuals integrity .Can I say that Joe and Mikey were top lads and most helpful for which I am very grateful.
I too lost equipment and am appalled by the number of others who had ( may they die on their arse a thousand times ).
I too would be happy to support either fund raising or tossing some money in the hat. The way I see it it would have taken me 18 months on the road to get the stage time and development that I did in this run for which I am grateful.
The only constructive feedback I would offer logistically is that the 10 mins allotted between the previous show finishing and clearing the room and setting projector up etc to start mine wasn't doable causing me to start late on occasions and so I would suggest 15 min minimum between acts is maybe more realistic.
Fab time and thanks to all involved.
laughingalfie

Postby laughingalfie » 28 Sep 2008, 16:34

Please ignore above I aint very bright....now posted in right place
laughingalfie

Postby bobslayer » 29 Sep 2008, 07:09

Ha ha nice one Alfie - good to see that our law enforcement officers are on the ball!
bobslayer

Return to 2008