Alexis Dubus: A R*ddy Brief History Of Swearing, Nicol Ed BH

Performer reviews of their venues/shows/experience in 2008

Alexis Dubus: A R*ddy Brief History Of Swearing, Nicol Ed BH

Postby Alexis » 15 Sep 2008, 11:54

Firstly, big thanks to Peter for a really enjoyable festival that didn't leave me several thousand pounds out of pocket.
Thanks also to everyone who chipped in at the Nicol Edwards - there was a real buzz about the venue, in no small part due to the efforts put in by the performers and Dave, the frankly legendary Bar Manager.

Personally, I couldn't have asked for a better run. The venue really suited the show I was doing and was always busy. The Three Graduates And A Dropout boys went out of their way to help out (even the dropout) and Dave and the bar staff were really helpful and up for the Free Fringe spirit. The audiences were great and way more generous than I'd expected. Would definitely be up for playing this venue again next year.

Unfortunately equipment did go missing and get broken - the Scarlet Lights girls lost two mics, and a light had to be replaced, which ended up coming out of Peter's pocket. In venues where technical gear has to be removed from the space each night it might be worth asking that venue to provide a member of staff to ensure it gets stored away at the end of the night. Seems a bit unfair to leave that task to whoever's doing the last performance each night.

A weekly meeting is a great idea - just an hour each week in the afternoon to iron out any problems and sort out any money that needs to be chipped in. For example, Tom from Three Graduates bought us that handy fan, Peter covered the broken light etc. It all adds up.

In terms of press, I found it still wasn't that easy getting reviewers in. Three Weeks covered quite a few Free Fringe shows, as ever, but it was only after a nice review from them that other reviewers started coming.
I think the only way to build on the ever-growing success of the Free Fringe is to have someone up there promoting the arse off it, to the public AND the press. Ideally this should be someone not involved in a show. Perhaps an Edinburgh student who will be up there for the Fringe anyway, with a desire to go into press or marketing, who wouldn't mind earning a bit of extra money and putting it on their CV afterwards. If every show chipped in a few quid for this service it would be really beneficial to the Free Fringe as a whole.

With all the Comedy Festival and box office nonsense going on this year, it really felt like we were the true fringe, and we need to capitalise on that next year. A lot of people were told by punters that they enjoyed the show more than some of the ones they'd paid about £10 to see, and word of mouth's obviously very important, but to have someone whose sole job is to get word out on a daily basis, without the worry of doing a show themselves could have a massive effect.

Obviously self-promotion's still important. Is there any way of adding a service to the website whereby performers could add any reviews they've received to a special Reviews section of the website? I know nothing about this sort of thing, so I realise it's probably a lot more difficult to set up than it sounds...

There should definitely be some 'benefit gigs' to raise money before the festival - featuring big-name acts involved in past Free Fringe runs, e.g. Robin Ince, Josie Long etc.
Peter shouldn't be losing this amount of money and we've got the talent in our ranks to put on some top money-raising shows.

I also really like the idea of a 'showcase show' at each venue, so people can see bits of peoples' acts and then decide to see the whole show. Great for distributing Free Fringe programmes at too.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit.
Overall, a great experience, and have been recommending the Free Fringe to plenty of people. See you there next year, hopefully before...

Alexis
Alexis

Postby 99club » 17 Sep 2008, 21:33

[quote]In terms of press, I found it still wasn't that easy getting reviewers in. Three Weeks covered quite a few Free Fringe shows, as ever, but it was only after a nice review from them that other reviewers started coming.
I think the only way to build on the ever-growing success of the Free Fringe is to have someone up there promoting the arse off it, to the public AND the press. Ideally this should be someone not involved in a show. Perhaps an Edinburgh student who will be up there for the Fringe anyway, with a desire to go into press or marketing, who wouldn't mind earning a bit of extra money and putting it on their CV afterwards. If every show chipped in a few quid for this service it would be really beneficial to the Free Fringe as a whole. [/quote]

The idea of finding a student to do PR is a great one. It'd certainly give them huge CV points to do the PR for a whole festival, so you might be able to find some enthusiastic youngster up for doing it for free.
99club

Return to 2008