John Otway: He's Really, Really Free

John Otway: He's Really, Really Free

Postby John Otway » 08 Sep 2010, 10:33

I've been doing the Fringe for 30 years and I must firstly say that this is one of the loveliest rooms that I have played in.

So many times I have been given a sterile box with a few seats, a couple of lights and a noisy show at the other side of a partition (and paid a fortune for it). Having a purpose built venue with excellent lighting and sound came as a wonderfully pleasant surprise when I arrived.

The small sacrifice of having staff going to and from the kitchen was a very small price to pay - especially as they tried very, very hard (and succeeded) not to interfere with the show. The staff also seemed to enjoy having us there and at one point the kitchen staff all came out to watch a part of my show.

I don't know how it worked for the rest of the day, but the acts both before me and after me were as helpful as they could be and ensured effective money collecting, getting people in and smooth turn-around. I would like to point out that the turn-arounds this year were much smoother than most other shows I've done at Edinburgh, so thanks everyone.

This was my first time at the Free Fringe and one thing I didn't miss was officious young people in uniformed T-shirts herding my audience around. The informal, relaxed feel made this one of my most enjoyable Edinburgh in years.

Thanks PBH, thanks everyone. Be great if I can do it again next year.
John Otway

Re: John Otway: He's Really, Really Free

Postby Omni » 31 Dec 2011, 15:38

John when are you coming out with a acoustic folky album with all your best tender songs on? I cannot help thinking, in all seriousness that your more sensitive work was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. Your fun stuff is great, your shows are are great fun to...however what is hugely and vastly underplayed is your amazing sensitivity in having written some of the greatest heartfelt songs these ears have ever heard. They need to be heard!!!! Call the Album 'In all seriousness' for the irony factor!!! :) I will buy the first Copy!!!
Omni

Return to Voodoo Rooms - Ballroom