PBH Best of Magic Show 21.10 Ballroom

PBH Best of Magic Show 21.10 Ballroom

Postby chriscook » 22 Dec 2017, 10:43

General

This is a compilation show of the best magicians on the PBH Free Fringe. I compere the show, warm the crowd up then introduce the other acts. I've been running the show for a few years.

Show Time and capacity

The Ballroom seats 112 people. My show was on at 21.10 on each of the three Mondays of the fringe. I filled 75+% of the seats each week we ran the show. Door staff were super helpful and as there was no show on after us so they actually encouraged us to over-run as staff and audience enjoyed the show. Two of the three shows over-ran because of this but could have easily run to time if we had a stricter kick-out time.

Room/Stage/Venue
The Ballroom is the largest of the Voodoo Rooms spaces. The stage is approximately 14 x 7 ft and is accessible through the centre aisle or from stage-right. The room itself is stunning with a real 1920s style cabaret decor including beautiful, subtle fairy lights on the walls (this looks really good, not tacky).

Stage/Lights/Sound
The lighting set-up is very impressive with spots, washes, disco-ball, house-lights, footlights and gels. There are also two microphones and stands and DI boxes with inputs for musical instruments and iPods. I hired my own techie who operated lights and sound from the tech-booth at the back of the room though some shows with fewer technical requirements managed to work without a techie. There is also a projector and screen that is simple to use though I didn't use it in my show this year. I brought my own wireless headset mic which worked great and we also used the on-stage mics with stands.

Storage
There is a large, walk-in cupboard at the back of the venue for storage. There is a lot of room but it can get full with props and flyers for other shows so it's good to give it a quick tidy out every few days. As a general rule, so long as acts helped keep their equipment tidy, the cupboard was a convenient space for storage. I didn't need to use it for this show.

Marketing/Flyers/Publicity

As this was just a compilation show I didn't flyer loads for it but did mention it in my other main shows. This helped fill the room up nicely.

Audiences

The audiences we had were always warm, friendly and open to being involved in the show. Lots of them were die-hard magic fans whilst plenty of them were just looking for a fun, easy, evening show.

Bucket

Very generous. I don't have a pushy bucket speech at all, I'm just honest with the audience and ask them to support the show. Plenty of people put in 10 and 20 pound notes.

Staff/Other Performers

The staff at the Voodoo Rooms are the best people at the whole festival. Just trust me on that. They are all really friendly, professional and great fun to chat to. They will always try and help with anything and you end up making great friends with everyone by the end of the run.

Summary

Great place to do a show with a great group of people. I'm really grateful to PBH for giving me the chance to perform in Edinburgh's best venue. I can't wait to be back next year!
chriscook

Return to Voodoo Rooms