3.15pm Rory O'Keeffe: Rorytelling

3.15pm Rory O'Keeffe: Rorytelling

Postby Rory OKeeffe » 22 Nov 2017, 14:38

The venue – This was my third year at Southsider but my first since it had been refurbished as I was elsewhere in 2016. It remains a great venue and there were lots of good shows on this year.

- The performance area – The performance area is a room at the back of the pub, seating around 30, with the possibility of squeezing a few more in when it's busy. There are five or six rows of seats and a bench all the way along the side. As some have mentioned, it makes it a little tricky if you have guests coming on, or if you have to enter from the back of the room, but it makes for an intimate venue. Similarly, for sketch shows there is limited performance space and backstage. We used a curtain rail which was a good addition. We also grouped together and purchased a stage light, which I thought was a great move. Thanks to venue captain David McIver who sorted this out and was generally an excellent capitano. Thanks also to everyone else in the venue who chipped in; it was all very painless and the exact spirit of the Free Fringe.

The room is quite long so sightlines for anything more adventurous than straight stand-up can be tricky. It's a really good room for stand-up, though, as others have said in their reports.

- The team of staff at the venue – The staff were great as always and were good about clearing glasses and changing your bucket coins.

Advertising
I did the usual combination of flyering and word-of-mouth. I didn't find flyering outside the venue very useful but preferred to entry and exit-flyer various other Free Fringe shows before my time slot. I also targeted the Assembly Gardens/Underbelly George Sq area and normally managed to get 4-5 people from there every day about an hour before my show.

Audience numbers – Numbers were good - most days the seats were full and at weekends and on a random Wednesday I had to turn people away. As always, there were a few quieter days in the last week and the odd weekday day here of there.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) – As mentioned above, David was a great Venue Captain. Special thanks also to Ships who were really helpful after their show ended, handling the queue if it was a busy weekend. The Free Fringe ran really smoothly this year and it was great to be back after a year navigating the Dark Sea of Paid Venues. Thanks to everyone running it!
Rory OKeeffe

Return to Southsider