Official Free Fringe London Previews -Your Thoughts Required

A chat area for performers and non-performers alike

Official Free Fringe London Previews -Your Thoughts Required

Postby tom bell » 11 Apr 2007, 17:34

Hello fellow free fringers.

Like most of you, I should imagine, I have been trying to find spaces to do some previews. I have been e-mailing the Hen and Chickens,
ETC, Albany et al, but it seems somewhat perverse to pay money to do
previews for a show that will be free, and perhaps not a very accurate dry run of what to expect

It then occurred to me that what would be much better would be finding a venue somewhere and doing some official PBH Free Fringe previews, say. two shows once a month/fortnightly from May? That sort of thing

Peter is keen I should post on here so that we might start pooling our resources. he also mentioned that there would be a chance of getting Malcom Hay to do a piece on it which would be terrific.
So... anybody have any ideas/suggestions for venues? Plus we may need equipment and possibly someone to tech the shows.
Furthermore, would other people actually be up for doing a spot at one of these nights? Or are you planning on sorting it all out yourselves?

Let me know your thoughts
Best,
Tom Bell
tom bell

Postby Jeff i Hunt » 12 Apr 2007, 23:12

Well done for arranging something Tom
I'll PM you with a couple of ideas
Jeff i Hunt

Postby Owen Niblock » 18 Apr 2007, 15:26

Hi Tom,

I'd be up for doing my show - is this all going to be London based?

I'm not running gigs at the mo - but maybe next year I'll be able to offer a space for PBH FF previews outside of London.

Regards,

Owen
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Postby menwithbananas » 18 Apr 2007, 22:56

Hi Tom

We would definitely be interested in doing a/some Edinburgh previews down in Sunny London. Not being London based we haven't really got many ideas on venues.

The Etcetera Theatre in Camden may worth approaching to see if they're willing to do a door split arrangement with any free space they have. However IF they do have space and are interested in a split then we'd clearly have to charge for tickets.

Sorry we haven't any other thoughts.

Love, peace, and bananas

Mark
I think we're going to need a bigger joke!
menwithbananas

Postby danny.worthington » 19 Apr 2007, 12:41

Don't know what people think about this one.

It's coming on for summer with warmer/lighter evenings.

What about seeing if there are any outdoor spaces that could be used?

Either slinging up some sort of Gazebo or using a bandstand for the stage?

Probably need permission from the council or whatever but it may work.

Just trying to throw ideas into the pot here.

I think that paying for venues may not be a good idea, our preview at the Etc cost me £100 for the slot in 2005 and attracted just two audience who weren't mates. We had nine in total.
danny.worthington

Postby PBH » 16 May 2007, 22:46

I'm quite anxious to revive the idea of previews.

Has anybody got any leads on venues?

I was at a party on Saturday at the Betsy Trotwood in Clerkenwell, which has an upstairs room. The host of the party said he'd paid £50 for the hire, but that was on a Saturday and the landlord may be amenable to a free let of the room midweek, particularly if he didn't have to staff the upstairs bar.

Trouble is, I'm a little tied up for the next few days. Is anybody in a position to follow this one up?

Thanks

Peter
PBH
Site Admin

Postby PBH » 23 May 2007, 00:07

Thanks to Iona Dudley-Ward, we have senev preview dates at the Bread And Roses, Clapham.

These dates are:

Wednesday 13 June
Sunday 24 June
Sunday 1 July
Wednesday 4 July
Wednesday 11 July
Sunday 22 July
Wednesday 25 July

Sunday times 8 - 10; Wedneday 8.30 to 10.30

I think for all these dates except the first, we need excepts from three shows with a short interval between.

I think for the first we should have a grand opening with as many of us as possible performing a shorter set. This will also help us to get to know each other, and maximise the audience.

There's no native audience at the B&R; we'll have to bring them in. The room is nice.

Let me know if youn want to play. Each night will need an organiser to set up and put away the PA and (presumably) compere; I can't make all of these dates so somebody else will have to fill in.

Please let me know those dates you want to do, especially the first.

Please also keep a look out for further preview space; we can fill more than this.

Peter
PBH
Site Admin

Postby Owen Niblock » 23 May 2007, 20:30

Hi Peter,

I'm going to be in London doing a preview at the ETC theatre on July 20th - I could stay over a few days a do 22nd?

Steve Bennett might be up for coming and writing an article about the Free Fringe on one of these dates? Might give the brand some publicity before the fringe starts?
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Postby Martin White » 25 May 2007, 00:03

Are these dates still a going concern? Sorry, I didn't spot the thread until PBH's email drew attention to it. Thanks to Iona for organising!

If so, I would be free for any of them except June 13th and July 25th. I have some compering/promoting experience and would happily run the show in PBH's absence.
Martin White

Postby steviep » 25 May 2007, 11:32

Nice work. Evie and I would love to do one or more of the preview nights. In fact we have a number of short bits that could probably be squeezed in amongst a night of other shows. If a compere/arranger is needed for any of the nights let me know and I'll be happy to do it .

I have also floated the idea of doing a few nights of free fringe previews past Sian, the promoter of Poncho comedy club in Cardiff. Early days but she's a good sport so may well be up for it.

good luck one and all
steviep

Postby Jeff i Hunt » 26 May 2007, 02:05

Any more news on the Betsey?
Jeff i Hunt

Postby PBH » 27 May 2007, 19:59

No news on the Betsy Trotwood. I did say at the time that I was too busy to run with this ball, and did anybody else want to? Nobody did; nothing's happened.

I'm also a little concerned that we don't have many shows booked in for the Bread and Roses so far; indeed, onjly four people have contacted me about it as of today. I was hoping for a grand opening with everybody who can make it doing a bit, and then three 30-40 minute slots for the rest of the dates. The opening date would also serve as another social event.

I know a lot of people aren't in London, but plenty are, so I hope we get these filled soon. Then we can start getting audience in.

Little point negotiating with the Betsy unless we know we're going to get shows wanting to do it.

Peter
PBH
Site Admin

Return to Friends of the Fringe & Chit Chat