PRS & the free fringe.

A chat area for performers and non-performers alike

PRS & the free fringe.

Postby Owen Niblock » 03 May 2007, 09:21

Hello,

How does PRS effect the Free Fringe shows? I know when doing a ticketed show they have a deal with the PRS people to give them a cut of the ticket takings to pay for use of songs in the shows.

Just wondered what the official line is on using other's music in your show.

Regards,

Owen
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Postby PBH » 04 May 2007, 19:58

I believe we are covered by the global deal PRS has struck with the Fringe. We're part of the Fringe, so if we're not covered they'd have to make a specific exemption, which they haven't. So, we pay them a proportion of our box office receipts through the Fringe box office, which of course in our case are zero.

I presume also, but haven't checked, that all our venues are PRS licensed for their ambient music.

As a PRS member myself, I believe that they never collect specific returns for play at small shows; only when one plays at what they call a 'significant venue' do they require a song-by-song return. As a member, one gets a shared payout to account for unlogged royalties.
PBH
Site Admin

Postby danny.worthington » 05 May 2007, 10:33

[quote]I presume also, but haven't checked, that all our venues are PRS licensed for their ambient music.
[/quote]

I checked all our venues agains the prs pemises search.
The only one not getting a hit on their database is the hudson hotel. I'm guessing that maybe it hasn't got onto the database as yet. I even tried matching it just on 'hope street' with no success.

http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/play ... earch.aspx
Last edited by danny.worthington on 15 Apr 2008, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
danny.worthington

Postby Owen Niblock » 07 May 2007, 09:57

Cool, I figured that was the case, but wanted to be sure.
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Postby Coopster » 15 Apr 2008, 09:06

what does PRS mean?
Coopster

Postby danny.worthington » 15 Apr 2008, 15:38

Performing Rights Society

The Performing Right Society (PRS) is a non-profit membership organisation which collects licence fees from music users, PRS then distributes the money to its members, the writers and publishers of music, and to affiliated societies worldwide

http://www.edfringe.com/story.html?id=1311&area_id=94
danny.worthington

Return to Friends of the Fringe & Chit Chat