12.20 Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Dinosaurs!

12.20 Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Dinosaurs!

Postby Dommy B » 07 Sep 2016, 18:17

I was very happy to perform as a part of PBH's Free Fringe in this venue.

The management and staff I found to all be very friendly and helpful. It was a great start to each day to have such a warm welcome from the people working at Hispaniola.

The space was adjacent to the restaurant with only a curtain between the shows and people eating. At 12.20 I found there to be a small amount of noise bleed, but nothing that impacted on my show.

There was some confusion about capacity at one point where some shows were exceeding how many people were allowed, but signs were made to ensure there was no standing after this and I don't believe this was a problem again.

My fellow performers on before and after me were all great and I loved being part of a team of people all doing something cool.

Audiences were good, in terms of size and appreciation. I had many full capacity shows and it was brilliant being somewhere so central. Bucket was good.

The background of the room is very specific - full of ace pirate stuff - skeletons and cages and ships. This fitted the mood to my show fine but if a person was to try to stage a show for which this wasn't a great backdrop that would be a problem as there is no way to move or cover any of this - it is everywhere. As I say, I loved it and the feel it gave my gigs, but that might not suit every act.

I was nervous to move to hisapniola after having three excellent years at cafe camino, a venue not on the free fringe this year, but I needn't have been concerned, the end result was brilliant and one I would happily repeat.
Dommy B

Return to Hispaniola