Rory O'Keeffe: Job's Worth - 15:15

Rory O'Keeffe: Job's Worth - 15:15

Postby Rory OKeeffe » 08 Oct 2015, 10:36

The venue – Southsider was a great venue - well located near a lot of other main Fringe venues, if a bit of a walk down from the very centre. It's a great pub with reasonable prices and good food - it will often be full of punters as well as those coming in to see the shows.

- The performance area – The performance area is well separated from the rest of the pub, being a curtained off room at the back. This year we purchased a couple of desk lamps to put on the floor and on the sound deck ledge at the side of the performance area. This helped, I think, but it's still a bit dim in there and you need some of the house lights on.

We had a large fan at the front of the room which helped with the problem of the room getting hot, but it's still very bad at the back if the room is full. If expecting a big crowd, it was good not to let the audience enter too early so as to air the room out a little.

- The team of staff at the venue – The staff were lovely and very helpful. They were good about changing coins from the bucket.

Advertising I did the usual combination of flyering and word-of-mouth. I didn't find flyering outside the venue very useful but preferred to entry and exit-flyer various other Free Fringe shows before my time slot. For the first time in years I avoided the Royal Mile entirely and there was no noticeable difference.

Audience numbers – Numbers were good - most days the seats were full and at weekends and on the first Monday I had to turn people away. The last week seemed notably less busy, especially on the Free Fringe. This might have been because the dates were a lot later this year.

- Buckets – Buckets were very good again and helped cover a lot of costs - as always, I tried to devise a funny way of asking to avoid awkwardness. See-through buckets help as well so people can't just drop in random shrapnel.

- Technical set-up at the venue – There were two mics you could use and both worked very well. One of the others acts brought along a connecting cable so your ipod or phone could be plugged into the system.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) – The communication was good between shows and everyone was good during the set-up and agreeing to split the payment for the edsk lamps. Special thanks to Patrick Draper in the slot before me who was a great help, and often manned my door when things were busy.
Rory OKeeffe

Return to Southsider