18.15 - Alex Love - How to Win a Pub Quiz II

18.15 - Alex Love - How to Win a Pub Quiz II

Postby alexlove » 09 Jan 2016, 12:40

- The venue
The Kilderkin is about eight minutes walk from the Royal Mile and is down by the Scottish Parliament buildings. It is a great pub with a friendly atmosphere. I love it.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?

It’s a separate room that seats about 40. There is no raised stage, but you don’t really need one.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?

The staff are always great here. I only have positive things to say about them.

The pub has discounted pizza nights on Mondays, so sometimes it could be pretty busy in the bar.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc.
I was in the main Fringe brochure this year and got most of my audience from there. I didn’t do anywhere near as much flyering as previous years and had full-rooms almost every day.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

Numbers were overwhelming good. From 19 shows, 18 were standing room only. I was regularly turning people away as there just wasn’t enough room.
I’ve really struggled in previous years at this venue, but getting listed in the main Fringe brochure helped a huge amount.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

My show was split between stand-up and a pub quiz. If I do it again, I need to make the marking system a bit slicker.

I have a format that works and I know can get a big audience. It’s definitely something useful to have up my sleeve and I am considering doing another run with the format, but with different material.

- Buckets

I actually made a profit this year. My smallest taking was about £28, which was up £20 from my smallest last year. I broke £100 a few times. It averaged out at around £75 a show, which was phenomenal.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

There’s a mic and PA, which worked fine. When the bar was busy, there could be problems with noise-bleed. A soundproof curtain would be good.

Better lighting for the stage area would also be welcome.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I was venue captain, so other people can say how I did. But there weren’t any major problems with anything.
This venue takes Tuesdays off, which really helps you get a bit of rest.

I got the room set-up every day, with people from other shows taking it turns to help out. Ideally, it would be easier if I could also rotate the days I did it, as lifting and putting the soundproof boards can make you work up a sweat some days.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I would definitely suggest registering your show with the Fringe, as I got a lot more punters as a result of this.

Themes are important for shows and my pub quiz one helped me an awful lot. If you’ve got a really strong theme, then you should always have at least some audience.

It would make a difference to have the soundproof boards up throughout the Fringe, but I accept that it’s a lot easier for the pub staff to have these removed so they can see who’s in the room from the bar before the shows start.
alexlove

Return to Kilderkin