FRENCH QUARTER - 7.30pm - ELF LYONS - UNDERGROUND SUCCESS -

FRENCH QUARTER - 7.30pm - ELF LYONS - UNDERGROUND SUCCESS -

Postby elflyons » 02 Nov 2014, 15:35

VENUE

Despite appearing hidden the Voodoo Rooms is a very well respected and known Edinburgh venue - this resulted in lots of passing traffic and everyone knew how to get there. Close to the Royal Mile too so was not a slog to advertise.

PERFORMANCE ROOM

The French Quarter is a very comfortable room and easy to perform in. The stage is long and wide and there is a bar in the room for audience to get drinks and toilets at the back. The seating area is split into two bits so those sitting at the back can feel slightly separated from the action taking place at the front of the room (this is based on audience feedback), but other than that it is a marvellous space.

STAFF

The team at the Voodoo Rooms were so supportive, open and kind. Very organised and understanding of the stresses of putting a show on. They were so awesome during my show and really helped calm my nerves when they could see I was nervous and despite seeing the show so many times they were always laughing and helping hype the crowd up if the audience were a bit quiet.

ADVERTISING

I had about 10 or so posters up around the venue which the staff had put up. They were in prominent locations which was great. Flyers were everywhere too.

AUDIENCE NUMBERS

Smallest audience was about 14 people on one Monday during the run, other than that audiences averaged at about 30 to 50 - there were several occasions were it was standing room only.

BUCKET

Awesome bucket. The smaller the audience the more generous they were (notes rather than coins). The larger the audience the more likely you'd see people trying to not put anything in. Other than that, everyone was very up for putting a £5 in for the show.

TECH

Very easy to use. All I needed was to play my iPod and use the mic - which I never use on stage anyway - so overall, it was great for me.

QUEUING

Due to how thin the corridors are at the Voodoo Rooms queuing for shows in the cabaret room and french quarter was slightly awkward at times but overall the staff were always on hand to guide people and sort it out.

STORAGE
Great.

Overall, this was the perfect venue. The staff made it for me.
elflyons

Return to Voodoo Rooms