807 The Mother of the Priest

807 The Mother of the Priest

Postby Valentina Sulas » 12 Jan 2015, 19:07

This was my first year with my own show at the Fringe and at the PBH Free Fringe. The show was “The Mother of the Priest”, drama/one woman show, a tragic tale about love and guilt.

The Venue and The performance area "Magic and Tea with an evil genius" and the others have perfectly described the venue and the scenic space. It's a perfect, amazing venue for cabaret, stand up comedy, magic.

The team of staff at the venue I'd like to thank Wendy and Louise, who run The Street, and all their staff: they are wonderful people. Always helpful and kind. There is a space for posters and flyers.

Technical set-up at the venue There is a single spot light, and other lights like the word "disco" on a wall, glitter balls on the ceiling. My show needed an atmosphere as intimate and "serious" as possible, so I switched off everything and left only the spotlight, that was able to light an area of 1,5 mt x 2mt more or less.

How you advertised your show Unfortunately my show wasn't in the main printed Fringe program, due to a late registration, after the deadline, but I was in the main Fringe website ant this has been helpful. I leafleted every day, usually from noon til 14, sometimes in the evening at 19 (my show was at 17.15); it depended on the activities that I attended at the Fringe Central. I leafleted with a costume, in the Royal Mile or close to the Half Price Hut in Princes Street.

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers Audience could be 20 - 5. The time of the show was in the work hours, so there was much more audience in the week ends.

Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change? I get three different reviews, and I am satisfied in what I read. "Four stars" is a very good review. My main aim in coming to the Edinburgh Fringe, from Italy, was to know how the audience and critic of an another country could react to my show, and I’m happy about those reactions. You can find here the reviews, with reviewer’s comments about the venue. http://edfringereview.com/r/U9ghsmjYQreCGGztXDx6yg
http://www.wow247.co.uk/blog/2014/08/23 ... he-priest/
Here some sentences from the reviews: “In her performance as the Mother, Sulas is the embodiment of grace and power. Even off-stage, she manages to captivate the audience. Sulas has an ability to say much with few words. We are enthralled by her even when there are moments of silence; in these moments we are given more than enough emotion to understand the depths of her character. With such an intense stage presence, we are stunned by her often quiet and introverted movements.” ( R.Mfon, Edfringe Review). “The Mother of the Priest was a very enjoyable, unique production; Sulas was captivating in a challenging role which showed how powerful one-person plays can be when done well.” (B. Horton ).

Bucket I prepared a bucket speech that has been very helpful. My bucket varied depending on the audience, from 2 or 3 to 5 or 7 per head.

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) – was ok.

Many thanks to all the amazing staff of The Street! I had had a wonderful Fringe.
Valentina Sulas

Return to The Street