The House Always Wins

The House Always Wins

Postby StephenAllison » 29 Dec 2014, 16:08

The venue - The venue is a Cafe for the public and specifically a place of support for people in recovery from addictions. Its a very welcoming place. The performance space is a separate hall space. During the day this was used by the cafe. They had around 50 chairs and lots of standing room / sitting on tables at the back. It is a dry venue which for my show actually worked really well as it meant families (under 18s) could come along.

The performance area - The space had about 50 chairs. There was a stage area but I never used this due to the nature of my show.

The team of staff at the venue - The staff at the venue were fantastic. They were great fun and they seemed to enjoy all the shows.

How you advertised your show - had about eight posters around the venue and printed flyers. I put the show in the main Fringe programme which I think helped. Most days I would spend a couple of hours on the Royal mile with a table set up, performing magic tricks for people and flyering.

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers -Show had standing room only nearly every night. I did 13 nights and would say I had between 45 and 65 each night.

Your show itself - The show went really well. This was my second time putting on the full length show at the fringe. The show was a gambling / scams based show involving a mixture of card tricks and other scams and cons. The show was very interactive and got loads of people involved. The audience really enjoyed the show and I got show great comments from them afterwards.

Buckets - Varied quite a lot over the course of the fringe but the average was around £60 a night which I was very happy with.

Technical set-up at the venue - There was a microphone (which I didn't actually use). My show didn't have too many props which really helped with it being in the Free fringe. I only had a few decks of cards and a couple of other props. My only other set up was a folding table I brought and then I would put a few chairs round it for volunteers.

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)- This was great all worked really well together.

As always loved the free fringe. I would really like to do it again next year and if the same venue was available would be more than happy to be there.
StephenAllison

Return to Serenity Cafe