12pm The Good Delusion Tina Sederholm

12pm The Good Delusion Tina Sederholm

Postby Tina Sederholm » 01 Sep 2014, 16:27

Show

The show itself went really well. The Royal Oak was the perfect space for an intimate, personal piece like this one. I felt like I took the lessons I learnt in 2013 and upped my game in all areas - better flyering, better bucket pitch, better show!
Initially I was worried about having an early time slot - who gets out of bed by 12 pm at the Fringe? But it turns out that Fringe audiences do, even if performers don't. I had a lot of people come in because they had tickets for something later in the afternoon and took a punt on my show to fill the time. I am proud to say that the only leavers I had were two people who had come to the wrong venue. The disadvantage with the early slot is that there is little point starting to flyer before 11 a.m. - the Royal Mile and other places were pretty deserted. However, by exit flying other similar shows and going onto the Mile in the afternoon (which felt weird after I'd performed but needs must) I got pretty decent numbers - averaging about 15, and twice having to turn people away because we were full. The Royal Oak seats about 30 max, so if you get 10 people in there it already feels like a decent audience. Being a couple of minutes walk form the Royal Mile makes it easy for people to find, though I did need someone at the top of the stairs to direct audience down as the owner wasn't too keen to have many signs/posters up.(Understandable as she had just had it re-painted)

Venue

I had a great relationship with staff and they were very helpful when I needed extra chairs at the last minute for one show. A big thank you to May, James and Graham who could not have been kinder.
There is no storage for flyers or equipment, but as venue captain I set up a spot in the room where acts could at least put their props during the day so no-one had to carry it around with them all the time. Between us, we kept an eye on it so nothing got pinched. Flyers were allowed in the pub, on shelves and on a special table, but posters were limited to non painted or varnished areas.
One of the great pluses of the Royal Oak is that the room is downstairs, completely separate from the main bar. This means you don't get any interruptions (apart from latecomers). Once it is set up, there is a welcoming feel to it. It has no need for a PA, which means you need to provide amplification if you want music or sound effects for your show.

Bucket

I had very generous audiences and took nearly £700, which for a small show like mine was amazing. Several things helped. I offered sherbet lemons ( a prop from the show) to everyone who put anything in the bucket. I had 40 cds of last year's show and 20 pamphlets. I sold out within 10 days, so I made some laminated poetry cards to sell for the last 10 days. Many people gave money for the product and the show, but what helped was saying £3 for the cd, £5 for the pamphlet meant I had put a figure in people's minds. One other thing - I echo what Tim Clare says about holding the bucket yourself. Audiences love to tell you if they loved the show, and if they are giving you money, I think it feels good if they can give it directly to you. So having a helper clear the room for the next show is a must, I think, so you can fulfil this part.

My only regret of this Fringe is that despite sending out press releases and sending representatives to the Meet the Media day, I only got one reviewer in. However, I did get five stars, so ...!
Tina Sederholm

Return to Royal Oak