3.10pm Stories About Love, Death & A Rabbit

3.10pm Stories About Love, Death & A Rabbit

Postby samanthaman » 28 Aug 2014, 12:51

I was very happy with my 3.10pm slot at Dragonfly this year. The playing space at the Dragonfly has a vaguely living room feel, which suited the atmosphere of my piece very well, and the earlier slot (compared to my last couple of years at the Fringe) meant that I did not get the drunk people that I have found disruptive in the past. It was also nice to be able to close the door to the space so that nobody wandered in 'by accident'.

It should also be said that the team at the Dragonfly are wonderful. They are all friendly and helpful and welcoming and I was very flattered that most of them came in to see part or all of the show at some point over the three weeks. Special thanks to Rory, of course, who runs Dragonfly and who did everything possible to help make things go smoothly for us, but everyone there went out of their way to make me feel as though they were happy for us to be there. I always find that that kind of thing makes a huge difference.

My audience numbers varied but, discounting the bounce I got from doing Mervyn Stutter’s Pick Of The Fringe late in the run, I was getting between 10 and 20 people every day. A few times I got as many as 30 people; once or twice I had 8 or 9. Early in the run, a few people definitely came because I had flyered them on the street but I am not a very effective flyerer and, on the whole, the people who came to my show were people who had seen me either at MegaGames, where I was assisting Tom Webb, or at one of the guest spots I did on other people’s shows. Of these, the biggest draw was doing Mervyn Stutter’s Pick Of The Fringe, after which I was packed out for a couple of days (room capacity is between 40 and 50 people, depending on whether or not people are standing behind pillars). People also came because they had seen my entry in the big Fringe programme, in the Wee Blue Book or online and there were often people there because of a recommendation from a friend.

In terms of my bucket, contributions varied from nothing at all to £20 notes but, taken across the three weeks, my take averaged out at about £2.50 per person. That said, very few people just tossed in a handful of change; they tended instead either to put in a decent amount or to put in nothing at all. I’m pretty sure this is because my bucket speech was stronger this year.

My relationship with the people performing before and after me was fine from my point of view. The people before always ran to time and were very good about putting the room back in order before I started. The show after me was very popular, which meant that occasionally people tried to come into my show ten minutes or so before I had finished so that they could get a seat but, as soon as I mentioned this to Paul, he started to look out for it and it stopped being a problem. Paul was also venue captain and seemed to have everything very much in hand. Certainly, I have nothing to complain about.

All in all, this year’s Fringe was a very positive experience for me.
samanthaman

Return to Dragonfly