5pm - Jollyboat: 5 Stars, F*****ck Yeah!

5pm - Jollyboat: 5 Stars, F*****ck Yeah!

Postby EdJollyboat » 04 Dec 2014, 10:59

Movement is one of the best located Free Fringe Venues, being right in the centre of town, on cowgate.

The performance area is large, can hold 150 people, but feels full with 70. The more the merrier, though. The stage is large - better suited to musical comedy or sketch than standup, I feel

The team of staff at the venue - We've been in this venue for some time now - even before our show was there, we were doing spots there *a lot*. The staff change yearly - there's always a new manager, and they are always lovely and willing to go out of their way to make it work for us. It's a nightclub at weekends, and the staff clearly need to make sure it runs successfully (that's their priority and teir job) but it rarely has any serious implications for the shows.

How you advertised your show - Flyering, Social Media, Banners outside.

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - Amazing this year. Lengthy queues, always full. Easily our best year.
Your show itself - Was very solid from the start. Changed barely this year, which was nice.
Buckets - Our best yet!

Technical set-up at the venue - We had a wonderful team this year. New speakers in the venue led to a much better sound than last year - Christian Reilly brought the technical expertise - I brought lights and sound desk. Very satisfactory, in the end.

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - The relationship with this venue is always excellent. The last two years, the venue has changed name after flyer printing, and before the fringe began - it would be helpful if this communication was better next year - it affects their drink profits as well as our donations.

Any other learning points for anyone involved - The only major change from the previous year - opium, the next-door sister venue, was running two shows in two rooms, where it had previously been running one. This meant that the chairs, which are pooled between venues, were overstretched. We lost audience members, and even reviewers, to a lack of chairs. We nearly got extra chairs at personal expense - and would consider it next year.
EdJollyboat

Re: 5pm - Jollyboat: 5 Stars, F*****ck Yeah!

Postby PBH » 04 Dec 2014, 20:23

The Free Fringe has a small stock of chairs. Four months later, I cannot recall how stretched that stock was; they may all have been deployed, but it would have been worth asking. I wasn't aware there was a chair problem at Movement. We might or might not have been able to ease it, or even been able to borrow from another venue.
PBH
Site Admin

Return to Beat (now Movement)