11:00 - Free Samples

11:00 - Free Samples

Postby Toby Muresianu » 07 Sep 2013, 17:53

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
Live Music Bar. Generally a crowd of drinkers and

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
performance area separated from main room by a curtain.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
Most of the staff was excellent. One of the guys (Jim?) was a bit stubborn with insisting that doors not open until 11am because the alcohol license started then, though I don't see why he couldn't just let people in but not start serving till 11. This made it tough because often the weather was bad and people did not want to wait outside the doors, or they would try them and assume the venue was closed so they'd walk away (I made signs some days, but others I forgot, or someone else was managing so it was a moot point). Also, if the doors didn't open till 11, we would have to start a bit late. In the future I would recommend a show starting at 11:30 if the venue isn't going to open the doors till 11.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc

Flyering principally, starting at 9:30-9:45.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

15-30 people, more on weekends. Didn't see strong association with weather.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I think the variety show format worked well, ideally with the host and 3 acts - one magic, one music, one comedy. However, a lot of acts slept through the show, and it was tough to get acts in music or magic where I didn't know as many people. It was important to book acts well in advance if possible, remind them the day beforehand, and text them a half hour before the show started. I started overbooking when possible on the assumption one act wouldn't turn up, but it could make the show a little long if everyone did, and it was annoying when we advertised a variety show but it ended up being only comedians etc. Crowds were surprisingly up for it at 11am, good laughers, and not a lot of bar noise which was nice. Dirty acts and things like storytelling that were more intense didn't seem to do well; though I didn't advertise to people with kids sometimes they did turn up.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

Depended a lot on the quality of the show - most shows were strong, but when we had a final act who didn't do as well for whatever reason they tended to be light even if the rest of the show was good. 20-30 quid was typical.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Everything was good, they know what they're doing.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I have no idea who the venue captain was for this, though it's possible that bc I was doing another show at a different venue I just ended up on that list.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I think everything's been pretty well covered. It's grating to run a morning show every day, so I would recommend splitting it between a few people so each one hosts every three days, for example. Probably worth hiring flyerers, as well, though I didn't. We got a lot of last minute people in as well, so if you can get someone to help with flyering for the 15m before the show it's grand.
Toby Muresianu

Return to Whistlebinkies