MATT LACEY: Classroom Warrior, 19.30 in the French Quarter

MATT LACEY: Classroom Warrior, 19.30 in the French Quarter

Postby MattLacey » 17 Sep 2013, 15:53

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
The Voodoo Rooms is a bar/music venue all year round, which makes a difference for local crowds I think, as I found a fair few of the people at my show tended to be from Edinburgh and had come there as their local watering hole, not just because of the festival.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Separate room, halfway up the stairs. There's a bar in there, and the seating is split between high stools at the back and seats at the front by some kind of fire exit staircase.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
The staff at the venue were lovely. Even when I kept asking if my book delivery had arrived when it hadn't.

- How you advertised your show -
Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth. I hired a flyerer to do an hour before my show, which was definitely worthwhile as I was on my own and needed to get stuff together.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
Pretty solid numbers, and dangerously full on the weekends. However, every time I got lazy with flyering, there was a notable dip.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
I was pleased with how the show went.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
Generous. I told people if they put a tenner in, they could have a free signed copy of my book and this really helped takings. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it really helps to have a gimmick to get money out of people at the end.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
It's pretty basic, and I did my first show with house lights up as I didn't know how to turn them down, but these are just teething problems.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Yeah, it was generally good. I found it slightly difficult to follow some of the big emails, but we all got there in the end.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The storage cupboard is a bit of a mess, but I've done years in paid-for venues that have similar storage issues. I didn't really run into any problems but then my needs weren't particularly extravagant.
MattLacey

Return to Voodoo Rooms