The Human Being's Guide to not being a Dick about Religion

The Human Being's Guide to not being a Dick about Religion

Postby Matt26 » 10 Oct 2013, 20:05

- The venue - Sneekit (2nd from top)

Great location, great rooms, lovely staff = great venue. There was some confusion between the front and back entrances though I'm not sure what more could reasonably be done about this - there were signs, all the addresses said guthrie street not Cowgate.

The obvious flaw is that there is no communal area for audience to hang around in before shows. I was worried about this but it was nowhere near as big a problem as I thought it would be. In fact, given that my show and numerous others at the venue had people queueing up to get in, it might even have been a blessing. People milling around in a bar would have made it tough to organise this.

My only concern on this front is that the venue are making enough money to make it worth their while. If that wasn't the case, then maybe have a communal bar, otherwise I'd say keep it as it is.

- The performance area

Really Good. Nice big room, plenty of chairs, a bar! The only issue this year was that this room like all rooms that hold 60 people can get a little hot, so you really have to have the windows open. Which let in noise from the builders across the way. Also, for some reason there was a tinfoil like material on the wall - when the wind caught this it made a surprisingly loud noise. However, these are minor quibbles - once the building work's done this will be pretty much the perfect free fringe venue.

- The team of staff at the venue

Perfect. Not only polite and professional but really interested in the process and in the spirit of the whole thing.

- How you advertised your show

couple of posters near the venue and a really good paid flyerer

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers

Ridiculously well. I can only remember one occassion when all the seats weren't full and often times we had numerous people standing up as well. I've thought about this a lot and I attribute this to...

1. A show name that captures people's attention
2. Having quotes printed on the flyer from day one (I invited online press peeps to my previews)
3. The general growth of the PBH free fringe - I was far from the only person filling their room, the whole thing feels way bigger and better regarded than when I last did it in 2011

- Your show itself

Couldn't have been happier with it. The only downside was that despite sending out press releases to all the usual, no one reviewed me. Maybe they turned up at 2 mins too expecting to get in no problem and had to be turned away because tyhe place was full (that's what I'm going to choose to believe anyway)

- Buckets

I made about 1100 quid all told which means that after accomodation, food and marketing I actually made about 50 quid profit this year which was beyond my wildest dreams

- Technical set-up at the venue

Fine. Silky's PA was great.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)

Perfect. Tom Hensby was the best venue capatain I've worked with - approachable, available, and took an active interest in the other shows. Very nice guy.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved

Acts should be aware of the potential confusion between entrances and put a map on their flyers

One thing to note, and this is pretty much my only criticism would be scheduling. Myself and 'Who Ya Gonna Call' probably had the most elaborate set ups in terms of props and set and occasionally the turnaround was a little tight. I dont think it was ever a serious problem for either of us as we both kept to our allotted times well but in an ideal world I guess we probably wouldn't have been scheduled next to each other. So if they're not already, maybe likely set up/striking times could be considered when deciding running orders.
Matt26

Return to Dram House