20:30 Universal Adapter

20:30 Universal Adapter

Postby Alistair Barrie » 08 Sep 2013, 14:01

- The venue - Dram House Main room. Generally a bar/ formerly a nightclub. Am sure it will (and does) work as both when not being used as a performance space, but as every room seemed to have a show on at all times, it felt very much like a full time arts venue for the month.
- The performance area - Apparently not the room we were meant to be in originally, but a fantastic shaped room for comedy. Low ceiling, basic but perfectly acceptable lighting/sound rig for solo stand up. Stage was fine, backstage area for storage/waiting to go on very much appreciated.
- The team of staff at the venue - Universally helpful for me. Very occasionally the door at the back was left open, or it took a minute or two to turn down the air con/lights, but this was easily and quickly dealt with. In almost every case, they felt like part of a team that was working together (bar staff/management/acts) to make it a great venue to both perform and watch shows in.
- How you advertised your show - Mostly flyering - employed two flyerers before the show, flyered a bit myself, and did a lot of extra shows to get punters in. Had a few posters in the venue, but mostly relied on flyering and word of mouth.
- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - Very happy with numbers. Lowest was probably around 60 plus, highest over 125. Probably averaged over 80. Felt numbers tailed off a bit in the last week, but full (standing room only) at weekends (except last Friday.)
- Your show itself - Not really for me to say. I was very happy with it and the audience seemed to enjoy it. Both reviews I received were extremely positive. Would work next year on getting more reviewers in, but obviously show wise, the onus is on me to write a good show, and I think I did.
- Buckets - I was generally happy with the buckets, and felt it was quite important not to worry too much about them one way or the other. Of course you feel slightly miffed when you work your arse off for an hour and people throw in coppers, but that's the deal. I suggested people donated a fiver each, which I think is fair. If they do or not (and many did) is up to them, and you can't worry about it too much.
- Technical set-up at the venue - I had very little in the way of technical requirements, so was generally happy. There were a few issues - me failing to turn off my intro music, or accidentally making the desk feedback once, but these were a) my fault and b) I acknowledged them, messed around with them and they became part of the show. If I had a heavily tech dependent show, I would obviously employ someone to tech for me. This show didn't require that.
- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - Mostly fantastic. Christian Reilly, as a Free Fringe veteran, was very helpful, and generally we felt like a bit of a collective, working together and helping each other out. Overall, felt there was a really nice communal vibe going on. Only thing I would note was slight worry at state of the venue the day before opening, but the team at the Dram House worked their magic and it was ready for opening night. So there's nothing to really complain about - although I would have been concerned if I had needed to do a proper technical run through.
- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change. For a solo show involving me and a microphone, I really couldn't be any happier. Would like to record my thanks to all involved and, unless I write something involving major staging issues, pyrotechnics etc, I would love to be back at the same venue in the same slot next year.

All in all, my favourite Fringe experience in years, and I do hope the Dram House appreciate how grateful we are, and how great it would be in terms of footfall for them to continue as a Free venue next year.

Best

Alistair Barrie
Alistair Barrie

Return to Dram House