13:15 Calculating Comedy

13:15 Calculating Comedy

Postby Owen Niblock » 17 Sep 2013, 20:29

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
A bar - very mixed clientele - food was really good (as were the ales). They play sports upstairs on the big TVs.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Separate downstairs room. A bit of noise from the kitchen and phone but nothing too troublesome. Occasionally they seated people eating in the room next door (sort of partitioned off section) which could cause some noise disruption - and I had some young girls peeking underneath the back of the stage area just before one of the guests did a *very* inappropriate joke - which was interesting. I managed to politely warn their parents before the bad words lol

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
Staff were all lovely, really helpful and nice. Couldn't ask for more from them.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Free Fringe brochure, Facebook adverts, flyering, return audience. Most came because of FF brochure and return audience. Managed to get quite a bit of press but think I was lucky.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
Really really up and down. If it rained - I got no-one. My flyering technique is rubbish so half way through I hired a guy to flyer. When he turned up it really helped.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
I had to rework the show after the first few days, stuff that was working in previews wasn't working in Ed - I stripped out a load of the stuff about how the system worked and put in more jokes, then slowly reintroduced that side of things toward the end of the run.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
Generally generous (except a couple of bad days). Occasional notes but inconsistent. Proabably averaged 2 - 3 quid per head.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The mic lead stopped working half way through, other than that (and a few issues specific to me not having a long enough VGA cable to start with) everything was hunky-dory for me tech-wise.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Seemed fine I think. Didn't need much in the way of communication because (as far as I know everything went OK).

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Need to find a better way to increase numbers there - this can partly be put down to my terrible flyering (as previously mentioned).
Niblock vs. Gig-A-Tron

The Project Begins.
Owen Niblock

Return to Ryan's Cellar Bar