6pm - Love and Lilley's Fear and Loathing

6pm - Love and Lilley's Fear and Loathing

Postby alexlove » 24 Oct 2013, 12:26

The venue
The Kilderkin is my favourite pub in Edinburgh. It’s a bit of a trek from the Royal Mile, but it’s the best place for a pint and a chat. It’s the perfect antidote to the sterile and soulless Big Four areas. They have some great ales on cask, and the pizza is also highly recommended

Unfortunately, due to it's location, the downside is that it is more difficult to get an audience as there isn’t as much ‘passing traffic’. If you perform at this venue, you have to be prepared to really put in the work to get an audience.

The performance area
It’s a small room at the back of a pub that seats about 40.

The team of staff at the venue
They are all great. Very supportive and willing to help out any way they can.

How you advertised your show
Flyering mainly and plugging it at showcase shows. I tried Twitter, but I don’t think it achieved much.

How your shows went in terms of audience numbers
We had to pull two shows due to no audience. Our smallest audience was four and our largest was about 30. We probably averaged at least double figures. Still, most of the people who came enjoyed themselves.

Your show itself
A two-hander with Simon Lilley, with the theme of Fear and Loathing.

Buckets
We generally got enough for both of us to at least get a pint, sometimes food too. But it was down on last year.

Technical set-up at the venue
I had to get the room set-up every day, which did cut into vital flyering time. But I worked out way around this eventually.

The PA, loaned from Nigel Lovell, was great. It could do with a bit more lighting, but it wasn’t much of an issue.

Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)
I was the venue captain, so that it is for others to say about me. But everything worked out with the PA.

Any other learning points for anyone involved
Last year, my show Love and Langton’s Dirty Laundry, drew people in at 11pm on the strength of the theme along. Although Fear and Loathing is a solid enough theme, it wasn’t always enough to get people to make the trek down the Royal Mile to see it.

Another idea for next year might be to get a team of flyerers to specifically flyer for the venue to get people in that way and hopefully keep them for a couple of shows.
alexlove

Return to Kilderkin