19.15 Brian Mooney Away An' Bile Yer Heid

19.15 Brian Mooney Away An' Bile Yer Heid

Postby Brian Mooney » 16 Sep 2013, 12:16

Venue - The Globe Bar is well positioned , just off the Royal Mile although people can wander by it as the Globe Bar sign isn't immediately obvious even from close range. As a result ,I normally describe what it looks like as I'm handing out flyers .
Performing Area is good for stand up. Small stage and room for about 40 seating, 55 including standing spaces. Curtains separating the bar from the performing area keeps most of the noise from the bar area out most of the time.
Staff in the bar were excellent. Daniel and Shannon make you feel welcome and constant trips to the cupboard to get flyers were (or at least didn't seem to be!) no problem for the staff, even during busy times.
This was my third year at the Globe Bar and I paid to advertise in the Fringe Programme for the first time, in addition to handing out flyers and the Free Fringe programme. Numbers attending were definitely up on previous years, full at the weekends and average 20 - 25 during the week. Would think however that the cost of advertising via the Fringe was probably not cost effective, although helps puts bums on seats. Having invested cash in this way, I should've made sure I understood how to go about gaining other benefits (eg show reviews), but didn't. Definitely endorse giving out Free Fringe programmes with your own flyers -it's a good talking point to engage prospective audiences and people do use them.
Full marks to Chris, the venue manager - set up of the stage / pa system was well organized, and I even got my mike stand back in one piece !
Overall I broke even over the 3 week stint which is a result, once again enjoyed the experience and more importantly had my ego fed with the excellent audience reaction.
Brian Mooney

Return to Globe Bar