Trevor Lock Nude Echo 18.30

Trevor Lock Nude Echo 18.30

Postby trevor » 17 Sep 2013, 20:42

- The venue - what sort of venue is it?
The Citrus Club is Edinburgh's oldest live music venue. It's a great medium size room 80-100 capacity but looks full with 40 in. And I did a perfectly enjoyable show to 5!

- The performance area -
The stage is small to medium - a small rock band size but there was a an off stage wing put up that would have helped if you were doing a play

- The team of staff at the venue - Brian and his team were excellent. They really got on board and tried to promote my show to their night time regulars and any other punters that came to see other shows.

- How you advertised your show -
My show was advertised by me handing out fliers and my Facebook and Twitter accounts. And ultimately word of mouth. I wasn't in the Fringe Brochure on principle because I think it's so unfair to charge such a high flat rate. This pointless gesture of solidarity with no one cost me audience members because I met lots of people who asked me why I wasn't doing a show this year because they couldn't find it in the brochure.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers

It started out with me having a nice drink with Brian and the only person who turned up on the first day and then thankfully rapidly built up from there. They were my best audiences of any fringe ever. Not necessarily my biggest but they were good sized and all really wanted to be there and see the show, rather than having been tricked into it a by a flierer. But still I may re-consider my principles and go into the Fringe Brochure if I have a spare £300 in March. I won't. I'll spend £200 on some posters. What does the money go on? They employ far too many people I expect. I mean it's not so much a brochure as a bleeding list of shows and where they are on. I will do it next year. I offer to do the whole Edinburgh Fringe Brochure and I'll do it for free. To prove what a disorganised shower they are or what a scam it is. It's either a scam or incompetence.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
My show grows like a baby. Everyday there's something new to notice but it mustn't be left unattended for long. I started off the month with about 45 minutes and a rough outline and by the end I was drawing from about 70 mins depending on how the show was going and the sort of audience that was in, with clear sections. Sometimes more poetry sometimes less. Sometimes more talking with the audience or none at all or just whack the 4th wall up and rock it out. I never did a show longer than 60mins. Mostly they came in just over 50mins. Despite this the weakness was annoyingly always the ending. I need to end the show sharply and not drag it out into some kind of lingering goodbye.

- Buckets
The least generous buckets of my free fringe experience by some distance. Shockingly and disappointingly low. 50% of what I was averaging two years ago. Maybe blame my drawn out endings???

- Technical set-up at the venue
It worked great. The only improvement that could be made inside the venue would be a heavier black curtain between the bar and the room itself for noise reasons. And a bigger sign outside the venue. There wasn't really a sign outside the venue.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)
I didn't meet or know who was the venue captain. It felt like Brian was. It's his venue and he was very hands on, supportive and enthusiastic. Didn't really get to know the show on before me but Eden Rivers was an excellent comrade to share a venue with.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved
I think Brian should be worked with more closely. He has local knowledge. His venue is independent, permanent and well known. It's a bit out of the way from the rest of the festival but from the local perspective it is right in the middle of Edinburgh. I got the impression that Brian wasn't really supported by the Free Fringe. He offered big posters to the PBH Free Fringe but no one replied to him. The standard in all senses of the shows in his venue varied wildly and I hope he gets some more consistent shows next year that he can really get behind because he wants to make it work properly. I'm going to do my show there again in October and I would be delighted to be there again next year even though it's a schlep out from all the action because I think someone like Brian supporting it can make a big difference but I would like to see stricter standards for the shows that get accepted into the venue.
trevor

Return to Citrus Club