14:45 Hybrid Moments

14:45 Hybrid Moments

Postby Eddie French » 13 Sep 2013, 14:17

- The venue - Citrus Club is a long standing rock venue/club with a great history. The main room is away from the bar and has a raised stage, in house PA and room for around 40-60 people seated. The stage has a small barrier (as many music venues do) but these can be removed at request. There are also in house lights all operable in real time from the DJ/tech booth.

- The team of staff at the venue - Brian and his staff are excellent. They're enthusiastic and keen to assist in any way they can. When the venue stops putting on shows and becomes a rock club (around 10:30/11pm) they continued to offer their punters flyers and recommend shows to see. I was very impressed with all of them and hugely grateful to them all, especially Brian.

- How you advertised your show - I had posters in and outside the venue as well as in a couple of cafes near the venue. I generally flyered on Bread Street, Grass Market and occasionally on Lothian Road. I wasn't in the main Fringe brochure this year. The previous 2 years I was and I did notice that I didn't get the numbers like the previous 2 years when my shows were in the main brochure. I did hire flyerers and have friends helping me on a few days and this made a noticeable difference. Sadly I couldn't afford this very often.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - Sadly, many shows ended up with no public interest at all. Those shows with an audience tended to have between 12 and 25.

- Your show itself - My show was a showcase of acts I rate with me acting as MC. It was a fairly standard set up in so far as showcases go. I tried to book acts who would compliment one another with a variety of styles and personalities. I think I generally got the mix correct. Given the time of the show I tried to book acts that weren't too graphic in their topics or language and the audiences seemed to appreciate that.

- Buckets - I feel that the audience were reasonably generous in their contributions.

- Technical set-up at the venue - As previously stated, the Citrus Club has an excellent, existing setup which provided me with all of the tech I could have wanted.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - It was a little while before Citrus Club received the Free Fringe Brochures but that was sorted out quite quickly. Also, the acquisition of seating was also done quickly and was greatly appreciated. I had no real reason to speak to the venue captain so I can't comment on that.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - I feel that, with the location of this venue, it is best suited to groups (sketch, fixed bill 3/4 handers etc.) as then you'll have a better spread over the closest areas where you'll find potential punters. It isn't that the venue is far out of town, more that the location is tucked away from the main roads (something that punters and acts mentioned to me on many occasions).
Eddie French

Return to Citrus Club