18:15 We all are her (Theatre)

18:15 We all are her (Theatre)

Postby Manuel Gamar » 27 Sep 2013, 03:37

The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue

Well, it is a very welcoming café next to the biggest catholic cathedral in town. Most of the people coming in regularly are people attending to different services and also, during the festival, people who wants to chill out and have a decent meal (and the costs are fair enough). It's located across from a super big mall and near other Free Fringe venues. It's very well located but sometimes you get some trouble flyering around the place in certain hours 'cause most people are coming and going to work around there and after a few days they already know what your doing and don't accept any paper. Solution: Flyer all over the city.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?

It's a big empty white hall with very high windows on one side. There are 2 wide entrances if you happen to have big crowds (some shows did, so it was easy for audience entering and leaving the venue). The lighting is basic; at the time of our show, with the hall lights off, the shades down, and the space lit by some birdies, it went just fine. I guess it depends on the time and on the lighting you bring. Night shows will have the chance to get a better lighting management if required. You don't have a proper stage so you need to decide how to arrange chairs and adapt your props or scenography. However you will have lots of "air" above your head (8 or 10mts! no joking!). There are enough chairs for around 70 or 80 people but maybe you can get 150 people in! I went to see other shows and thought some of them would have gotten even more audiences than they actually did. Again, it depends on the type of show. I agree it's perfect for dancing, physical theatre or children shows. Ours was drama and had a bit of dancing and it was just perfect. Singing was ok. Check if audio equipment provided meets your needs; our show only needed some tracks to be played and, when singing, mics are not really necessary. Live music would need some mics, though. There is a green room you can use with a toilet at the back.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?

Manager, Fran, was very welcoming and took the time to see most of the shows on the first day. It seemed to me that they really wanted all the shows to work as best as possible. We had very few special requests and they were eager to help us: borrowing tables, chairs, a glass, etc. People working there are so nice but usually very busy. As always in the Free Fringe helping each other to keep the place tidy is necessary. I can say we made very good friends and we will be happy to come back!

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc

This was our first Fringe and we learnt a lot from our mistakes: Being in the main fringe programme is advised; we weren't in it. Having posters, if not all over the city, at least in strategic points would help you; we didn't have them. Flyering like crazy... well, that we did! most people talked about 10.000 flyers were the minimum to start promotion. We didn't have that many but we handed out flyers at specifics points all dressed up while singing, dancing, performing parts of the play, and whatever occured to us! We learn that you need to expose yourself, take risks and be willing to give the best of you at any time.... BUT if you don't have well designed advertisements and thousands of flyers people won't know your show exists.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

As we struggled with advertising we had kind of low audiences: average 8. min: 2 or 3. max 15 or so. For us Tuesdays were very low.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

The show went good... Personally, I think our message was kind of aggressive for most of audiences, and sometimes misunderstood. Our show was a very tragic original play but presented trough singing and dancing. Audience got captivated but by the end some of them left the room, when an aggressive scene takes place. Conclusion: we need to consider audiences to make the show work in spite of the cultural differences.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

Fair taking our audience numbers into account.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Venue captain, Ash, was professional and supportive, and the communication between everybody was quick and clear.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

We took part of one of the largest efforts in the world to make arts happen and we are really thankful for that! I think this cooperation between everybody must be kept as the principle of the Free Fringe in order to make it bigger and more rewarding to everyone in all aspects. Thank to all people involved!
Manuel Gamar

Return to Café Camino