18:20. Dobbing and Hamdi

18:20. Dobbing and Hamdi

Postby PeteDobbing » 10 Dec 2013, 12:43

THE VENUE - ROOM 1

Great building to be in. The bar upstairs is cool, welcoming and in a great location.

Sound bleed is totally unavoidable and good communciation is essential between shows in the two rooms if you want to avoid you shows being significantly affected.

Room 1, the big room, on the right. When you arrive it looks amazing with the lights and stage. The sound within the venue is a little unusual. The roof is much higher over the stage and the first few rows are in that room with you and the rest
of the audience is in the next room, through quite a low arch. There are massive speakers either side of the stage and more on the wall in the main room. Which speakers where on, on any given day was a bit random, but this is an inevitable side effect of it actually being a full nightclub in the evenings.

There are benched seats right at the back of the main audience area and booths behind that by the entrance. The entrance is an arch, about the size of some double doors and there is an open wall behind one of the booths into the bit of the bar that is used as a foyer.

THE STAFF AT THE VENUE
Really friendly and welcoming. It felt like we were a part of the venue and not temorary festival interlopers.

I ADVERTISED MY SHOW.
Fringe brochure and flyering before the show. We're just down from the royal mile, so it's possible to grab and audience with only an hour or so of flyering. Both Omar and I did various other guest spots, partly to promote the show.

AUDIENCE NUMBERS. 30 - 85

BUCKETS. Our bucket covered the cost of our accomodation, transport, Fringe program, flyers and FreeFringe donation

TECHNICAL SET-UP AT THE VENUE
Good lighting and sound. Tech varied a bit, but usually between good and excellent. I had some younger people unable to sit in the room due to the high pitched sound from speakers. Not generally a problem when the show had started, but I would be weary of bringing a show specifically aimed at younger audiences.

ADMIN & COMMUNICATION BETWEEN FREE FRINGE, CAPTAINS & VENUES.

Captains and venue were amazing. On the whole, other participants were great. Some conflict with the show in the next room over sound.

Some shows at other points in the day seemed disinterested in assisting with the chairs.
PeteDobbing

Return to Cabaret Voltaire