3:45-4:45 Come Ride With Me (Lesley Evans)

3:45-4:45 Come Ride With Me (Lesley Evans)

Postby lesvevans » 30 Sep 2013, 11:58

- The venue
Beat (Base) is a nightclub, because it’s not usually open during the day there’s not an obvious group that frequent the venue in performance hours.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
The performance area is slightly raised – I think it’s there are two steps up. The stage area comes out from the back left corner of the room, so is triangular, like a quarter of a circle shape, so the side the majority of the audience face is slightly rounded. The back and side or the stage walls are mirrored - we cover this with black sheets attached using sticky velcro.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
The staff were brilliant. All really lovely, helpful and supportive people. The staff helped set up the chairs and set up the performance area (switching off lazers/lights etc).
Since it’s a nightclub, I don’t think the shows got in the way of their business, but having stuff going on during the day meant lots of the staff were coming in to open up for us after a super late night the night before. Despite little sleep they were all great!
Kerr who was running the place was even out flyering and getting people in for me a few times. How nice is that?

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
As I got this great slot fairly late I missed the deadline for the printed programme. Just to be online was the same price and as money was tight I decided not to be on the online version either. In hindsight I wish I had paid and been on the edfringe online app. I definitely had around 15 people that I bumped into who said they were looking for me online/in the programme and thought I mustn’t be at the festival this year. I’ve worked hard over the last three years to get an audience and do feel my lack of ‘presence’ caused people to miss me. I had 13 A3 posters printed, I put 6 outside the venue and others in The Tron entrance.
I flyered mainly on the Grassmarket for about 2.5 hours, then last half an hour outside the venue before my show.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
I would say my average audience was around 30, with highs of 60, 70, 100 at weekends.
The rainy weather definitely affected audience numbers as there were less people out to flyer.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Show worked well, I was really pleased with it. I don’t use a microphone and it’s quite a big space so was hard work on the old voice! I had a particularly tricky show with four very drunk people who talked through the first half of the show (until they left), that was hard without a mic.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
I was pleased with my buckets, probably averaged about £2.50/person ish. I have definitely gotten better at the ‘bucket speech’.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
As the venue is a nightclub – they had a sound desk. David and Christian at our venue put up spot lights which were great – I think the lights belong to them.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
All great, all worked well.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
All great.
lesvevans

Return to Base (now Beat)