After My Own Heart

After My Own Heart

Postby Sophia Blackwell » 14 Oct 2013, 21:02

The venue
The Banqueting Hall at the Banshee Labyrinth, for every show I was involved with (Other Voices, After My Own Heart, I'm Sorry I Haven't Haiku)

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Banqueting Hall, Banshee Labyrinth

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?

The staff were absolutely lovely and went above and beyond for us.
They regularly came out from behind the bar (not that I tried to bother them much) to assist with tech things, unlocking cupboards where things were stored, etc.
It was also nice of them to let us leave some of our bulkier stuff at convenient places in the venue.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Free Fringe Brochure, flyers and posters. Some leafleting on the streets, some leafleting outside my colleague's shows after they were done.
Also social media- Facebook and Twitter are always useful.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
I did only three shows of After My Own Heart. All were respectable and at the last one I was turning people away.
Admittedly, I was cheating slightly by just doing three shows and making everyone come to the last one.
However, I am confident that if I did a longer run, results would be similar.
One Other Voices show seemed to be quiet because of poor weather outside, but as we did the show every day, it may have just been a coincidence.
Overall, traffic for all the shows I was in was good, particularly Haiku, which was incredibly silly fun for all.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I changed the ending around in my second and third shows. I also got used to positioning myself closer to the iPad I was using for beats.
Overall, I'd rehearsed like crazy so once I got there it was only a matter of improving the show based on the audience's feedback and reactions.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

I covered my travel, accommodation and printing costs, with a few curries thrown in. I know I can make more if I am smarter with accommodation. Book sales were healthy but I still had some stock left.
Travel doesn't seem to change much over the years and it's hard to get bargains, but next year we'll be driving, fingers crossed!

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Everything worked fine, nice set-up. Our requirements were minimal, but even the smallest things can go wrong as everyone knows.
So I appreciated everything that the lovely staff did for us at the Banshee Labyrinth.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

All fine. Fay and Matt are wonderful venue captains. The email process was a lot more straightforward this year

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Just don't be a diva (any more than you can help it) and you'll be grand!
Sophia Blackwell

Return to Banshee Labyrinth