19.20 Evie and the Perfect Cupcake Tina Sederholm

19.20 Evie and the Perfect Cupcake Tina Sederholm

Postby Tina Sederholm » 16 Sep 2013, 11:38

The venue - what sort of venue is it?
Large pub with three separate performance spaces. I was in the Banqueting Hall, which seats approx 40 max.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
The staff at the Banshee are brilliant - helpful, friendly, nothing too much trouble. Bailey, assistant manager, said only three performers spoke to him directly ( as in Hello, how are you?) which he thought was rubbish. I agree. It takes nothing to acknowledge the people who are doing you a favour. In return, he put my flyers behind the bar and handed them to punters who were asking for his recommendations.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc

I was in the main Fringe brochure, flyering, limited posters at my venue, plus Facebook, Twitter and exit flyering shows that were similar to mine.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
Audiences varied from 7 up to 27.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
the show itself went really well. I felt I improved each day an dI got a five star review, so my cake was well and truly iced. Feedback I got was that my flyer didn't do justice to the depth of the piece, made it look a bit chick lit. So that was good info and I will be taking that on board for next year.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

Varied. Having products ( a CD for £3 and a book for £5) helped. I averaged about £20 a day.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Tech set up was great. really appreciated having lights in the Banshee as it is very dark. Clearer signage to the different performance spaces would have helped too..... I had several punters who went to the wrong show, or came to mine instead of another room.
- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
All good.
- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

In the Banqueting Hall, if you have a show after 6 pm, it's worth having someone at the back to direct audience and as there are a lot of people who want to explore the tunnels, asking people to keep the noise down, as there is no proper door to shut that out. (And there can't be, we'd die of asphixiation if there was a closed door!)
Tina Sederholm

Return to Banshee Labyrinth