5.30pm James Christopher: What Are You Doing Here?

5.30pm James Christopher: What Are You Doing Here?

Postby James Christopher » 10 Sep 2013, 16:00

- Venue: Wonderful, historic pub which leans towards an alternative, rock crowd.
- The performance area: Chamber Room. Fantastic atmosphere and superbly equipped. It's quite simply one of my favourite rooms on the Fringe.
- The team of staff at the venue - Fantastic staff. It speaks volumes that many of the staff had been there last year (many Edinburgh venues, as with most big cities, have a high turnover of staff).
- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc - plus social media, radio interviews, forums, numerous listings sites. I flyered myself and also had a paid flyerer, who did a great job.
- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - The location of the Banshee, between Cowgate and The Royal Mile, makes it great for flyering. I was generally full at weekends, and about half full mid week, though it was also surprisingly busy on some midweek days.
- Your show itself - It was my first brand new show. My previous solo shows have featured my regular club set with some new material. It was incredibly liberating to remove the safety net, and drop the material I've been honing for years. The show had a more organic feel, and worked as a self-contained piece. A very rewarding and enjoyable experience.
- Buckets - Generally very good. I gave away CDs of last year's show, which I had professionally produced. Which I think helped. I think, in general, it's a nice idea to give people something, as it makes people feel invested in the experience. I also had badges which featured a throwaway line from the show.
- Technical set-up at the venue - superb. Great sound and lighting facilities, as well as projection.
- Admin & Communication process - very good, any problems were very quickly dealt with, with the help of other show members or staff.
- Any other learning points for anyone involved - Maybe the rooms could be sign posted slightly more clearly so people knew exactly where they were going, but there was usually someone to assist people if they needed it.
[url]http://twitter.com/jcbeermat[/url]
James Christopher

Return to Banshee Labyrinth