12.30 Patrick Turpin: Just A Girl...

12.30 Patrick Turpin: Just A Girl...

Postby patrickturpin » 02 Nov 2013, 23:06

- The venue - Bannermans is a 'rock and whisky bar' on Cowgate at the bottom of Niddry Street across the street from The Caves. Its a great pub with drinks and food, with a slight rock/metal vibe.

- The performance area - This is a back room, usually used for live music gigs, and rock nights, completely sectioned off from the rest of the pub by two double-doors. Similar atmosphere and layout to Cave venues in Just The Tonic (but less damp, better lights/sound set-up, and aircon). It has a very spacious raised stage (no wings/backstage area). There is some musical equipment that lives on the stage, but it's pushed to the sides, so doesn't take up much space at all.The seating area has room for approx 100 people, around 60 seats, so once you have that number in there it starts to feel pretty full.

- The team of staff at the venue - The staff are amazing. Karen & Christian were always very friendly, organised, and helpful. They helped make the experience of being there an extremely positive one.

- How you advertised your show - I was registered in the main brochure, had about 5000 flyers, and also did a poster run. Having a distinctive show title helped I think.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - Started off pretty quiet for the first week (10-30), and then I was pretty much full for the first Saturday and Sunday. Dropped off at the start of week 2, but it was full again at the weekends and for most of the final week.

- Your show itself - Took five performances or so to get into my groove, but was happy with it after that. Continued changing the show until the end. Response was positive.

- Buckets - Played around with what I said onstage at the end of the show to encourage donations. Cut down the speech to a few words (so still riding off the goodwill of the final laugh) and made sure I mentioned "five pounds..." as part of it to give them some kind of benchmark to work around.

- Technical set-up at the venue - Amazing light set-up (full black-outs if required) operateable from the tech booth. Good PA as well. We weren't using the venue's PA, but a portable one that had been set-up (i assume) especially for the Free Fringe. This worked fine, I had to buy a 12 metre RCA -> MINI JACK aux cable so we could operate music from the back of the room, but that was no problem really.

- Admin & Communication process - Met Ro Campbell (venue captain) on the first day, he was very friendly, and encouraged everyone not to give the venue staff undue hassle, or expect too much of anyone - a useful point i think. Communication was all fine.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - Loved being tucked away at 12.30pm - not competing with many other shows, the weekend audiences were brilliant, and never had to deal with any drunks.
patrickturpin

Return to Bannermans