Misc. Tron Kirk Showcases

Misc. Tron Kirk Showcases

Postby Robbie Johnson » 13 Sep 2012, 16:14

- The venue - The Kirk is an old church turned performance space. It has the best acoustics of anywhere I played at the Fringe.

- The performance area - Small raised stage in the seating area on the left hand side.

- The team of staff at the venue - The girls were nice, but this was a Showcase guerilla action put together by Stewart Wilson. The sound guy was fantastic as well.

- How you advertised your show - Pretty much Stewart screaming at people on the street with a bullhorn. Bloody Genius. It worked like a charm. The place pretty much fills itself as it's right in the middle of the festival. Plus Stuart was herding them in the door. Good set up. Great introduction. It was awesome.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - The place was always full. But it was tough to play to such a diverse crowd. There were grandmas as well as bairnies and I won't curse in front of either if I can help it, so I had to improvise a set or two. It worked, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Nothing.

- Your show itself - Some of my material was perfect for the venue and some wasn't. I just improvised. Next year I will learn more kid's songs for this venue.

- Buckets - Not applicable, but exposure is priceless.

- Technical set-up at the venue - Everything was technically perfect. Wouldn't change a thing.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - This was tough, the appoinments were a little difficult to get because there were a lot of people making them. But not a bother. It was brilliant.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - Great venue for musicians. I don't think besides the piano bar that there are a whole lot of music venues at the free fringe. This one is well worth holding onto. Kudos to Stewart for bringing them in. If they'll stay for next year that would be a bloody coup and a half.
Robbie Johnson

Return to Tron Kirk