16:00 - The New York All-Star Comedy Hour

16:00 - The New York All-Star Comedy Hour

Postby adamstrauss » 26 Nov 2012, 16:53

- The venue - large bar
- The performance area - a separate room with a raised stage separated from the rest of the venue by very heavy curtains
- The team of staff at the venue - A big plus - unfailingly professional and pleasant. As soon as a show ended they snapped into action clearing glassware. There was always a sound tech available. They weren't quite as effusively friendly as the staff at my other venue (Royal Mile Tavern) but they were every bit as effective and accommodating.
- How you advertised your show - Flyering, Free Fringe Brouchure, and the big Fringe programme.
- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - Generally packed or close to it. I think the name of the show drove in audience, since it implied both quality (all-star) and a somewhat different angle (new york comics), and we also got quite a bit of traffic from people who'd seen my other show at the Royal Mile Tavern, as well as repeat customers. But clearly much of the credit should go to the venue itself - the location is simply perfect, right at the nexus of two of the busiest streets in Edinburgh.
- Your show itself - Overall I was quite happy with it, but the truth is that only a third of the comics were from New York. I like having some geographical diversity, but I'd like to up the NY quotient to 50% next year, which I intend to do by starting booking earlier.
- Buckets - On a per-person basis contributions were much lower than my other show at the Royal Mile Tavern (not surprising since there it's just me for the whole show so audiences presumably feel more a bond with the performer) but given the far larger capacity of this room, they added up nicely.
- Technical set-up at the venue - No problems, everything ran smoothly.
- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - Very smooth, no issues at all.
- Any other learning points for anyone involved - One small thing. The sign on South Bridge advertising the venue number was placed in such a way as to obscure the name of the venue itself. I often had people come up to me when I was flyering in front to ask where whistlebinkies was. Easily remediable with more circumspect sign placement.

Overall, a great room ideally suited to comedy. One thing to be aware of is noise bleed from the rest of the bar can be significant. It's not really noticeable on stage or near the front of the room, but for patrons near the back it can be quite distracting. We tried cranking up the amplification to compensate but there was feedback, so doesn't seem much can be done here. It's not really a problem for straight stand up (or I'd imagine musical comedy) but for someone doing more narrative/storytelling comedy that requires more sustained audience attention and quiet, I would think twice about using this room. But for our show it was absolutely perfect, and sincere thanks to PBH and the rest of the Free Fringe crew for getting such a top notch venue.
adamstrauss

Return to Whistlebinkies