1655 Numb and Number

1655 Numb and Number

Postby Yianni Agisilaou » 05 Oct 2012, 09:21

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue

Canons' Gait is a pub which normally has a very local crowd. During Fringe though it attracts all types, especially in the afternoons. V easy to get people to as its on the Royal Mile.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?

Downstairs room, with own bar. Does get hot when full plus there is a sort of "sweet spot" for listening between the four roof mounted speakers. Harder to hear outside this area which also happens to be a lot of the standing room. Def creates a sort of "two tiered" viewing experience. Stage is quite small, okay for stand up but probably not for anything elaborate.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?

Canons Gait staff are always very helpful and supportive. I had a teaser poster up in the pub advertising my show from February!

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc

Free fringe brochure, main brochure, flyers, big posters around town, Chortle correspondents pieces, exit flyering other gigs I did. It seemed like we had v good word of mouth all festival too. Also lots of audience who'd seen me in previous years. Each year I go up this is more pronounced.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

Strong numbers. We didn't have many empty seats throughout the run and the variation came down to how many people were standing. Always packed on weekends and most days packed by the end of the run. Lowest numbers early weeks midweek.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Show was great. Couldn't have been happier with it. Had to tweak it for time as it was often overrunning, apologies to PBH on after me. Our PR strategy worked well and we got a lot of reviews.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

Buckets were strong, about £3 per person. We had merch offers for people putting £5 or £10 into the bucket. Bucket def varies depending on how you do the pitch.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Generally good. Headset mus worked well in the sound desk, projector hooked into TV no problem. Would be nice if we could have an extra bit of curtain under the TV so that shows that use the TV and thus bunch the existing curtain behind the screen don't have the unsightly wall visible under the TV. It wouldn't be too hard to do and would add to the professionalism of the experience for the audience.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

All good. Canons Gait is Free Fringe HQ so there was never a problem getting messages to the right people and as I said before, staff were very obliging.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

Can't think of anything
Yianni Agisilaou

Return to Canons' Gait