15:00 Otway on Otway

15:00 Otway on Otway

Postby John Otway » 14 Sep 2011, 10:49

- The venue
This venue is one of the most lovely places I've ever played on an Edinburgh Fringe (both free and paid for). Separate, large room off a bar restaurant. The room is usually used for performance throughout the year, so is perfectly fit for purpose.

- The performance area
Great high stage, which would suit most shows from comedy or theatre to a whole band of musicians. Good seating in rows, and perfect sight lines.

- The team of staff at the venue
The staff were great and helpful. There was a little confusion at my first show as technical rehearsal time had been provided the day before, but as I was doing a show on the way up to Edinburgh, I was unable to attend. Therefore, the staff had to help me get my show up and running just before I went on. However, once they were aware of the situation they were very helpful and the show went ahead without problems.

- How you advertised your show
Fringe brochure

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers
On average, it was about 80% full. I have traditionally pulled a local Edinburgh audience, which tends to mean that it's quite a lot busier at weekends. So I would say low of 35 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and high of 100 on Weekends.

- Your show itself
For this year's Edinburgh, I did a presentation show here and a gig at the Base Nightclub in the evening. This combination worked very well and I noticed that a lot of people who came to one show would turn up to the next. The presentation which was, to an extent, a powerpoint presentation was aided greatly by the venue allowing us to use their projector and their floor to ceiling screen. This added a professional gloss that my show wouldn't have otherwise had, and it went down really well with the Edinburgh audiences.

- Buckets
Don't know how everybody else felt, but thought we were a bit down on last year. Could have been my bucket speech, or the recession.

- Technical set-up at the venue
I had a technician with me who could work my powerpoint stuff, the sound and the lightning from the back of the hall where the mixing desk was. The technical staff were well on top of any problems we encountered.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you)
This all worked well - we all swapped phone numbers and communicated when necessary. Thanks to all. Having done the Edinburgh Fringe pretty much every year for the last 25, one thing I really enjoy and find inspiring about the Free Fringe is how friendly and helpful all those involved are - all I can say on this subject is that any problems that arose were dealt with without fuss, so all my shows went up on time, the audience came in and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved
What wasn't apparent this year were how the dressing rooms were allocated. It wasn't until almost the end of the run that I was told we weren't supposed to be using the dressing room we were using last year, and we were meant to be using the cupboard by the door for storage.
John Otway

Return to Voodoo Rooms - Ballroom