14.05 Brice/Stephenson

14.05 Brice/Stephenson

Postby alibrice » 30 Oct 2011, 17:34

1. The venue - what sort of venue is it?

A pub. Seemed as though many of people drinking there were regulars, but welcoming and friendly.

2. The performance area.

A rectangulat room that, when not being used for the fringe, is home to a pool table. It was a fairly standard set-up, much like comedy nights you'd find in pubs and bars throughout the UK. Not great, not glamorous, but a fine place to perform stand-up comedy.

3.The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows?

Very friendly apart from the cook - he regualry glared into the room with an expression of disbelief that anyone would spend three weeks performing for free. The landlady, bar staff and the rest of the team at The Southsider were very friendly, although they didn't assist with the shows, they did help us set up the room and provided us with a man with a hammer to hang the PBH Free Fringe backdrop.

4. How we advertised our show.

We were in the PBH brochure and had flyers and posters. We stood on the Royal Mile for approximately 2 hours before our show started, handing out flyers to people ad talking about the show. We also fyered the Pleasance courtyard, which proved successful and around the Gilded Balloon which yielded very few audience members.

We were not in the official fringe brochure, but any future shows I do will definitey be going in there. While the PBH brochure was invaluable in getting audience memebers in, the on-line listings provided by the official fringe programme would have been very useful.

5. How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

Initially, we were getting audiences of 3 - 7. The weekends were very busy - 30 or so in. The second week we managed to fill the room most days, then it trailed off throughout the third week.

The weather was a factor. When it was sunny, people were out on the Royal Mile/in the Pleasance and we were able to hand out loads of flyers. When it rained, there weren't so many people and audience numbers suffered.

Also, with The Southsider being a new venue and somehwat removed from the heat of the action, people were not willing to walk to it - especially in the rain.

6. Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change?

My half-hour (Brice) of the show was generally well-received for most of the run. There was the odd day where people didn't like my props or surreal/daft/silly jokes. There were days when I was hungover/bored/tired/hungry...where I could have done a lot better. I'm still learning and need to work harder. Overall, I though the show, once Stephenson and I had talked about things and changed the running order...etc went very well.

7. Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous?

Approximatey £15 per day. So not great between 2 of us.

8. Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change?

Lighting consisted of two standard bulbs clamped to the top of notice boards leant against the walls either side of the performing area. So better lighting would have been nice.

The PA was provided by Pam Ford and was adequate. Once we'd figured out how to use it. An ipod/CD player could be connected allowing for entrance music/sound effects, whihc was useful in setting the atmosphere while the audience filed up/sat down.

9.Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change?

Rowena was an excellent venue captain. I thought communication process was fine. Most of the shows were very friendly and supportive and willing to muck in.

10. Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change?

The Southsider didn't have any chairs for the venue. Whether this was their responsibility or the Free Fringe's I'm not sure. However, chairs are a vital ingredient in any fringe show and having to resort to sourcing chairs and dodgy smelling sofas from rubbish piles and bins - which is what we did at The Southsider - is not a great way to start any fringe.

-------

Not a damning report of The Souhsider at all, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. If I return to The Fringe I will not be requesting to perform there again.
alibrice

Return to Southsider