Journey To The Centre Of Somewhere.

Journey To The Centre Of Somewhere.

Postby JonWilliams1 » 13 Dec 2011, 21:09

The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue

Nightclub. Our show (from 3-4pm) attracted quite a mixed bag. Quite a lot in the 18-25 bracket, but also lots of older audiences too. One day including a large group of marines.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?

1 8x4 steel deck stage on the dance floor of the nightclub

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?

The staff were always very friendly, and whilst we fortunately did not need much help from them, they were always well staffed if needed. The shows added to their business as I don't think they would regularly be open during the day.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc

Flyering at least 60 minutes before the start of the show each day outside/nearby the venue, Free Fringe brochure, word-of-mouth, Facebook, Exit flyering, flyering nearby locations (Food court etc.)

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?

Our lowest day was 45-50, highest day around 130. On average it was around 70-90.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

We changed the order of the acts daily, and rotated MC. It maybe would've worked better if we put people in their strongest positions each day.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous

On most days the bucket reflected our audience numbers and how well the show had gone. We never really pushed the bucket-talk on for too long though, and tried to make it more light hearted as to not make anyone feel over-pressured to give.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

The stage could've been a bit higher, and the lighting wasn't really suited to a stand-up show, but we got by fine without too much hassle. The equipment that other shows let us use was very helpful.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change

I wasn't really in charge of the admin side of our show so I can't really comment. I assume everything was fine as I didn't hear otherwise.

-Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
As mentioned before, the relationship with other shows at the venue could have been established beforehand (possibly even on this forum) just to make sure everything runs smoothly. (IE if the act on after/before has a lot they need to set up/take down). Maybe talk-up the bucket a little more. Establish the best format for the show and stick with it, even if the acts in the show aren't happy to, for example, open every day. After all, the show should be suited for the audience's enjoyment, not the acts preference.
JonWilliams1

Return to Sin Club and Lounge - Front