18.45 (16th only) Festival of the Spoken Nerd

18.45 (16th only) Festival of the Spoken Nerd

Postby HelenArney » 27 Sep 2011, 08:17

Thanks all for a great Fringe experience this year - here's my report, see you all next year!

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
It's a clun Club - normally closed in daytime so no clientele.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Stage in big cavernous room, smaller room off the back which we didn't use.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
Staff at the venue were great, especially door staff / security when it got busy. Bar staff were efficient. Didn't notice any staff helping set up shows, but we only did one, but I found everyone there really helpful, friendly and positive.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Some flyers, a few posters but mostly word of mouth and main Fringe brochure entry / Free Fringe brochure

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
It was the closest to "sold out" that a free show can get... We couldn't fit anyone extra into the room and the door security had to turn people away because we were too close to fire capacity. No comment about different days, we only did a one-off show.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The show worked really well. We'd done a couple of previews of the one-off show in London so we were ready for the Fringe. Very happy with it.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
Generous - we gave away a free CD to anyone who put a note into the bucket, and free downloads to anyone who put coins in. That really helped people to be generous on the way out.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Basic tech setup was adequate, although there were a few problems with mic buzz and cut-outs - I'm not sure that the cables were quite up to the job of doing shows all day every day, it was frustrating but it didn't affect the flow of the show. I can imagine it will have got frustrating if there were erratic noises and tech problems in there every day. Jools Constant was incredibly helpful in lending us his projector, screen, everything we needed for the extra tech on top of the basics already in the venue. 15 minutes wasn't really enough time to set it all up though - of we do a longer run next year we might try and schedule the start time so we have 20 minutes set-up and 10 minutes to strike, rather than 15 minutes at both ends (that is, if the show after us are OK with only have 10 minutes to set up!)

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Great! Jools and Matt were brilliant, always answered calls and emails promptly and efficiently, all-round extremely helpful guys.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Not that I can think of... Thanks all for a brilliant Fringe experience!
HelenArney

Return to Sin Club and Lounge - Front