Monkey Poet's Welcome to Afghanistan 13.45

Monkey Poet's Welcome to Afghanistan 13.45

Postby Matt Panesh » 15 Nov 2011, 13:35

- The venue - Club - Fringe happens in closed hours

- The performance area - separate room

- The team of staff at the venue - fantastic, cant be spoken of too highly.

- How you advertised your show - flyering an hour before the show

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - bad numbers, lowest 4, hi 25 (last day) av 6-8 but as its a comedy drama about afghanistan - expected!

- Your show itself - went great

- Buckets - generous. average 20 - 30

- Technical set-up at the venue - fine, prob no need for mic, i didnt use one

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - i was venue captain, everyone performing was lovely. there was an error made by the venue that meant we had to do a full take down and re-set the next day and plenty helped out. that was lovely to see. Also massive thanks to the lads that set up the posters downstairs showing the way to the backroom. Toppers. An issue with communication tho - a guy dropped out, he was hospitalised i think, so fair do's, but i got updates second or third hand, and quite late in the day at that. Since he had my details i'd have appreciated it if he'd have let me known directly what was going on.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - I was captaining this venue last year as well as performing there, and as i was performing a play - unusual or not the norm in the free fringe canon, i put down the lack of audience to that, and rightly wasn't too bothered, i got good reviews and the play is currently touring off the back of them, so all good. it did what was needed. I do worry about audience numbers for stand ups tho. I imagine it's quite hard for a stand up knowing that there's an audience of 80 downstairs in the front room and you're performing for an audience of 4, simply because of where you have been arbitrarily placed. (ps - whoever the people were who defaced the flyers downstairs trying to encourage people to come up the back, so to speak, insinuating that the acts upstairs were shit, knocking already wobbly confidences, thanks, not the attitude to have.)

Last year lots of blame went to the alley being used as an entrance, this year that was changed and we used the front door, but getting audiences to that back room is still a massive issue. The front room is like a black hole. Is there anyway the back room could become a theatre space/or music space/ sketch show space or improv space - a different genre to stand up to make it stick out? I honestly don't know the answer to this one-the space is too good to give up, there must be a way of making it work.
Matt Panesh

Return to Sin Club and Lounge - Back