1500 Philosophical Investigations

1500 Philosophical Investigations

Postby raphshirley » 10 Sep 2011, 17:42

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
Usually Student Bar. During Festival time it is not so studenty but more a nightclub type atmosphere

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
A small stage in the main (only) room of the L shaped bar.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
The team were very helpful. The staff had to get in early to open up for the first two shows. Sometimes the doors only opened moments before the performance started. On occasions when it was raining or before a sign was put up saying when the doors opened, some people left due to confusion or because they didn't want to wait in the rain.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
Fringe brochure, flyering, twitter, word of mouth

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
Min 10, max 30. I think rain helped with numbers. Larger audiences on weekends but less interested and more drunk - i.e. worse audiences despite being larger.

- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Largely happy with the show. Personally I need to work on making the theme and tone consistent.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
Average £10 per day, min £5 max £30.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The mic connection was a little unreliable. The venue was too dark. This was ok for me at 1500 but later this might have been a problem. One or two bright lights pointing at the stage would make a big difference. The position of the stage was a matter of some debate and I think maybe we made the wrong choice by putting it at the side of the L. I think at one end might have produced more of a sense of the stage pointing toward the audience.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
Largely worked well. Perhaps a standard style for Free Fringe press releases might make it more easy to get press in.

- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
It is always advantageous to have a separate area for the stage. I think maybe next year the stage in rush bar should be put around the corner so that people could drink and not interrupt performances.

On the whole, I was very pleased with my experience of the free fringe. The key issue for me is that having a separate area for the stage is hugely advantageous. Most venues have this, but Rush Bar could probably figure out a way to do this which would make the shows seem a lot more official. In general I would say Rush Bar is much better for stand up/non-fourth-wall stuff. I wouldn't recommend doing a low key sketch show or play here.
raphshirley

Return to Rush Bar