15.50 Big Fat Food Quiz and Laughing Jaabs Edinburgh

15.50 Big Fat Food Quiz and Laughing Jaabs Edinburgh

Postby Nastassia Dhanraj » 01 Nov 2011, 00:01

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? Pub, Bar, Club, Restaurant... What sort of clientèle normally frequent this venue
I love the venue. Nice little pub. Friendly locals and lots of tourists because of the location.

- The performance area - stage, separate room, open air?
Performance space is really intimate and lovely. Quaintly decorated. Can get very hot. There's not a stage per-say, but it is so relaxed to perform in.

- The team of staff at the venue - did they assist the shows? Did the show get in the way of the normal business etc?
The staff absolutely made it for me. They were just so lovely. Really interested in the shows and they always pointed potential audience members in our direction. Utter stars.

- How you advertised your show - Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, word of mouth etc
We were in the Free Fringe brochure and had flyers. We did about half an hour's flyering before the show, but we had started off with doing an hour and quickly realised that wasn't necessary. The Free Fringe brochure was the best advertising. People would come up to you in the street and ask for the free fringe guide. Thanks to the location of our venue, people would see the name and start time as they happened to be standing outside and a lot of audience came through that.

- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather?
The very first day of the Free Fringe we only had about 6 or 7 people. From then on it was pretty packed every day. We turned people away on several occasions. Obviously weekends were busier. In rain, people wanted to come inside but were less willing to take flyers so it did even out.

- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous
We didn't make too much of a big deal about the buckets, but people were always great and generous.

- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
I'm terrible with sound tech so any problems were probably just me being an idiot.

- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change
The venue captain was the best venue captain ever. Really helpful, really supportive and really easy to contact.

Tasha Dhanraj
Nastassia Dhanraj

Return to Royal Mile Tavern