14.35 Catherine Semark: The Truth About Lions

14.35 Catherine Semark: The Truth About Lions

Postby Catherine Semark » 17 Oct 2011, 16:20

- The venue - what sort of venue is it? After 10pm this is a very laid back bar and club. As the name suggests, the decor has an Arabic flavour with scatter cushions and tea lights.
- The performance area - Very small raised stage in a dedicated room with bar. Very few seats - mainly cushions on the floor, so not too good for anyone with mobility/back problems. Having people lounging around meant can mean quite laid-back, mellow audiences - which worked fine for the style of my show, but imagine it might cause problems if you're doing something fast and furious.
- The team of staff at the venue - Totally ace. Really helpful.
- How you advertised your show - The usual (Fringe brochure, flyering, posters, PBH brochure). Flyered in Bristo Square for an hour or so before the show. Also did plenty of spots in the evening, so flyered these audiences as well.
- How your shows went in terms of audience numbers - solid numbers every show? Did it vary by day? Affected by weather? Pretty solid (bit of late-comer trickle as standard). Weekends very good. The first Thursday of non-stop rain was very poor, but that was the only really bad day.
- Your show itself - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change. Was very happy with the content and flow of my show. On reflection, I think it would have been easier to flyer if I'd given it a more explicit and descriptive title (like Sam Brady's 'Meditation Ruined My Life' or Lizzy Mace and Juliet Burton's 'RomCom Con'). But that's the only thing I might have changed (and still probably wouldn't have...).
- Buckets - we don't need accounts, but how were the donations to the buckets - bad, good, generous? Totally depended on audience demographic. Student-heavy days meant great reactions but rather miserly buckets; older audiences - more generous and quite a lot of £10 notes.
- Technical set-up at the venue - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change. Technical set-up is great for lights and sound. Only minor issue is irregularity of room (L-shaped, with some of the few seats either side of the stage, facing the audience). You have to keep aware of this to make sure all audience feels included. Quite hard to get audiences in and out quickly - we had a few shows overrunning because of this, which had a knock-on effect.
- Admin & Communication process (between Free Fringe, Captains, Venues and you) - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change? Lizzy Mace was a great VC. Could have done with more PBH brochures early in the run. A huge glut arrived in the last week, which was great, but we had very few in the first couple of weeks.
- Any other learning points for anyone involved - what worked, what didn't work, what needs to change? Shows really need to make every effort to keep to their slots. If you can't get out on time, it's your responsbility to cut material, rather than to compromise somebody else's slot.
Catherine Semark

Return to Medina