Yianni Agisilaou's Stand Up Spectacular

Performer reviews of their venues/shows/experience in 2009

Yianni Agisilaou's Stand Up Spectacular

Postby Yianni Agisilaou » 03 Dec 2009, 17:15

Hello all.

My experience was broadly positive. I found the caves to be a lovely, atmospheric venue and the seemingly inevitable threat of electrocution never actually materialised.

I would have to add my voice to the choir singing the praises of staggered starts. It was always very crowded at start time and you just knew that half the people weren't paying attention when you gave them the simple instructions "Earth calling Johnny Acecraft in Cave 1 and Yianni's Stand Up Spectacular in Cave 2" Also, as previously stated it would probably help to keep the bar steadily rather than intermittently full.

The venue itself was great. As it was quite a big room it did lose some atmosphere when people were sprinkled throughout the room.

There were some difficulties with people finding the venue, especially as the Just the Tonic venue was also called "Caves" Improved signage would help. I'm not sure what our rights are with regards to signs but a sign with a list of shows on similar to what we made up for the White Horse in 2007 would have helped. This should be made by the people performing in the venue, I didn't spearhead it this year, I was just so busy.

I liked the slightly unpainted unfinished feel to the whole place and especially liked watching people's faces as they walked into the caves for the first time.

There were issues with the roof dripping onto people's seats if it had been raining heavily but they weren't dealbreakers. I think that's the kind of thing that you might be upset about if you'd paid £10 for a ticket to something but that you have a chuckle about when it's a free show.

I very much enjoyed being part of the Caves. I felt bad that due to the fact that I overcommitted myself with various other projects I couldn't contribute as much as I would have liked to the venue however everyone did do their bit when they needed to. Todd was a great venue captain as well.

4 stars
Yianni Agisilaou

Return to 2009