The News At Kate 8.25pm at Speakeasy @ The Voodoo Rooms

Performer reviews of their venues/shows/experience in 2009

The News At Kate 8.25pm at Speakeasy @ The Voodoo Rooms

Postby KateSmurthwaite » 03 Sep 2009, 15:05

Generally a very positive experience. Good audiences, helpful staff. Also due to it's use as a burlesque venue out of festival season it has very high quality sound systems and lighting set-up.

1) Be aware that the venue does host burlesque and much as they will insist it is all frightfully tasteful it can attract the odd dodgy bloke. One day I was asked outside by a "client" how much I took off which really upset me.

2) Partly because of the above and also because it is a quiet and seedy-looking alleyway there is no point flyering outside the venue. It's only a couple of minutes walk from the Royal Mile. Much better to flyer there but this does mean you'll want to put a simple map on the flyers.

Err that's it I think.

Oh - the bar upstairs is gorgeous and the Cafe Royal bar and restaurant downstairs are also well worth a visit. When flyering middle aged, middle class couples it's worth recommending they go there for a meal or a drink before the show (that way they're there nice and early and also that way when you go up to the bar and announce the doors are open for the show lots of people get up and hence others in the bar think the show must be good and follow them...).
KateSmurthwaite

Return to 2009